CHAPTER X: Epilogue

"I guess this is it, then." Dean said, a note of reluctant finality in his voice. He extended a hand to shake Jay's. "It's been good."

"If you want to call it that." Jay smirked somewhat sarcastically. "But we should do this again."

Dean let out a breathless laugh of relief. He'd been thinking that, but all the while was hesitant to say so. "Yeah, w-we definitely should."

Jay's lips twisted into a sort-of amused, good-natured sneer, like she could see right through him. There was a pause, where Jay stared unblinkingly at Dean, like a cat, and his eyes were on everything but her.

"As you know, I don't often work with other Hunters. Especially more than once." She finally said, surveying him with strange eyes. He could never fully read her expression. And that was endlessly frustrating – but also somehow intriguing. "But I feel that I can trust you. I'll see you soon, Dean." Then with one last sardonic smile, she turned and left.

Following her descent of the motel stairs with his eyes, Dean sighed to himself. At least he'd graduated from 'kid' since last they'd met. Closing the door, he turned back to his room and began to pack his things. Time to hit the road.

Just as he was returning the room key, Dean's phone began to ring, buzzing urgently in his pocket. Brusquely thanking the person at the desk as he dropped the keys on the counter, Dean pulled out his cell and examined the screen, checking the caller ID before answering.

"Dad," he said into the mouthpiece, sliding into the cab of his running car.

"Hello, Dean." His father's voice sounded in his ear, slightly muffled through the speaker, causing an odd combination of tension and relief to writhe in Dean's stomach. "Good job on this hunt," he congratulated, but Dean could sense a condescending note lurking in his words. "It wasn't a bad idea to go to a more experienced Hunter for help."

"You know about that?" Dean asked, his heart sinking somewhat. He wasn't sure why.

"Word travels." His father replied. There was a pause, then he went on, "Jacqueline is a very skilled Hunter – "

"Jay," Dean suddenly found himself correcting him, then immediately felt a stab of regret.

"—but you can't get too attached." His father finished with a sigh. "She's an enigma. Even among the Hunter community, we don't know much about her, and you need to be careful."

"Okay." Dean managed. His head began to swim with theories and questions. She's an enigma. Blinking out of the stupor of thought, he added, "I'll make sure to exercise appropriate precaution."

"Good." His father affirmed. "Now, son, I'm in Florida. There's talk of a local 'swamp monster' and I want you to come with me."

"Awesome." Dean nodded, even though he knew his father couldn't see. He wished silently that Sam would be joining them. But that kid was long gone, on the other side of the United States, nice and cozy at school. "Text me the address. I'll be there in five hours."

Then in one fluid motion, he'd hung up the phone, stomped on the gas, and turned on the radio. The Eagles blasted through his car, drowning out all thoughts of his father, of Sam, and of the enigma Jay.

THE END.