CHAPTER VIII: All Things Must Come To An End

"Don't look, don't look, don't look..." The words poured like a stream from Jay's mouth as she held Dean away from the abhorrent presence that had manifested in their room, heedless of the salt lines. A trembling breath rattled up Dean's throat, and he risked opening his eyes, just for a moment...

"Jay, it's gone." He panted, sitting up. She straightened beside him, her eyes the only indication that she was afraid. They wheeled around the room, bright with alarm as she searched frantically for the phantom that had invaded them, whereas the rest of her body remained remarkably placid.

"What the hell was that?" Dean asked, breathing heavily and attempting to avoid marveling at Jay's intense calm.

"There's a fifth animatronic." She bit off the words composedly but urgently, as if she couldn't say it fast enough. "Here. In the building. It got past the salt line – oh, probably because it's broken. When Bonny stepped on it, that's right... And it wasn't corporeal. But it couldn't have been a spirit... It must have been a hallucination. Like the migraine I experienced immediately before it came."

"Yeah, I noticed that." Dean said sharply, his eyes travelling cautiously over her face. "Are you actually okay?"

"I'm fine now. While I was hallucination, I heard a voice. It was Phone Guy's voice, and he was saying it's me, over and over again. Then that thing appeared." Jay finished, punctuating her sentence with a slight shiver as she turned back to the cameras.

"Well, God damn." Dean snorted, blowing out his cheeks. "What do we make of this, then, Holmes?" he joked lightly, carefully.

"I'm not so sure, my dear Watson." Jay teased back at him, without looking over. Dean couldn't see all of her face, but from the way her cheek seemed lifted, he could assume that she was smiling. "But somehow, it relates to our phone friend, that much I know."

"Well, yeah, if you heard his voice." Dean nodded. "But how could he be tied into this?"

"I'm not sure. But I think he may be the reason for many of the deaths related to this place." She sighed, licking her lips to fight back annoyance. "I'll have something figured out by the end of the night, that much I promise."

"Oh," Dean blinked. "Uh, okay. If you say so."

"That, however, requires we make it through this night. Then I'm going to tamper with some wiring and burn this place to the ground." Jay explained shortly.

Dean didn't say anything, attempting to work out the logic and validity in Jay's plan. He assumed it was there, but he was just being too thick to acknowledge it. Finally it clicked, and he blurted out, "Oh, to destroy the spirits." Then he felt stupid.

"Knew you'd get there eventually." Jay said with somewhat cynical smile. "Yes. The children's bodies were obviously stuffed into the suits, so if the suits go down in flames, the children's spirits go down with them."

"Why mess with wiring? Why not just use a lighter in a vulnerable place?" Dean wondered, feeling like he'd found a hole in her planning.

"Because then we can't be tried for it." Jay explained without missing a beat. Dean's mouth opened in a small 'ah' of understanding. "Then it looks like an accident. But we just have to make it to the end of the night before we can do anything." There was confidence in her voice, but her stomach was beginning to squirm with anxiety. Just survive this night. But the animatronics were pissed now. They'd soon be throwing all they had at the little office. And at this point, Jay wasn't sure what to expect. For the next hour and a half, they watched the cameras, growing more apprehensive as the animatronics drew nearer. Including Freddy himself.

"Damn, that's creepy." Dean retorted, indicating at the camera screen locked on the girl's bathroom hallway. If you didn't know what you were looking for, it would be rather hard to notice the pinpricks of light which were Freddy's eyes glinting in the darkness of the bathroom door. The image flickered, then disconnected, leaving only a black screen. "Crap. I think we pissed him off."