01

[Wake Up]

Hollywood - July 22, 1995

Sunset Curve played their song Now or Never.

"Whoo!" a girl cheered. "Excellent!"

"Sounds great, guys!" a guy complimented.

"Whoo!" another girl cheered.

"Yeah!"

The band members laughed before Reggie said, "Thank you! We're Sunset Curve!"

"Too bad we wasted that on the soundcheck," Bobby stated. "That was the tightest we've ever played!" He and Luke bumped elbows.

Luke turned to face the front. "Wait until tonight, man, when this place gets packed with record execs."

Reggie said, "Alex, you were smoking."

"Oh no," Alex replied. "I was just warming up. You guys were the ones on fire."

"Shut up. Could you just own your awesomeness for once?" He held up a finger.

"Huh? All right, I was killing it."

Luke chuckled and shook Alex's shoulders. "Okay, well, I'm thinking we fuel up before the show. I'm thinking street dogs."

"Ooh!" Reggie said.

"Yes," Alex agreed.

The four jumped off the stage and Bobby started walking off.

"Hey, Bobby, where you going?" Luke asked.

"I'm good," Bobby told him, walking up to a girl cleaning a table. "I could never hurt an animal."

The boy cleaning another table winked at the girl and she rolled her eyes with a light chuckle.

"You guys are really good," the girl and boy complimented.

"Thank you," Luke replied.

"We see a lot of bands," the girl said. "Been in a couple myself. I was really feeling it."

"That's what we do this for." He clapped Bobby's shoulder. "I'm Luke, by the way."

"Hi, I'm Reggie," Reggie said.

"Alex," the blond introduced.

"Bobby," Bobby stated.

The girl smiled while Luke stuck his finger in his mouth before sticking it in Bobby's ear. "Nice meeting you guys. I'm Rose."

The boy waved. "Chris."

Reggie pulled out two CDs. "Oh, uh... here's our demo. And a T-shirt. Size beautiful." He handed another T-shirt to Chris.

Alex let out a groan.

Rose held the T-shirt up to herself. "Thanks." She shouldered the T-shirt. "I'll make sure not to wipe the tables down with this one. Got that Chris?"

Chris nodded. "Yup, got it."

"Oh, good call," Alex said. "Whenever they get wet, they just kinda fall apart in your hands."

Bobby turned to his bandmates. "Don't you guys have to go get hot dogs?"

Luke stepped closer to Rose and Chris before saying, "Yeah, he had a hamburger for lunch."

Reggie smiled and swatted Bobby's shoulder in a friendly manner. He followed Luke out. Alex followed shortly after.

As the three boys exited the building, Luke said, "That's what I'm talking about!"

Reggie chuckled and Alex asked, "The smell of Sunset Boulevard?"

"No." He chuckled. "It's what that girl and guy said in there tonight. About our music, all right? It's like an energy. It connects us with people. They can hear us when we play." He puIled Reggie and Alex closer to him. "I want that connection with everybody."

"Then we're gonna need more T-shirts," Reggie told him.

Luke snickered before saying, "Let's go, boys."

Reggie walked up to a group of girls and handed two of them a T-shirt. "Ladies." He rejoined his bandmates.

"Reggie, wait!" a girl cried before letting out a squeal.

"Oh my God," girl two said. "Reggie!"

"Oh my God! Hi, it's me!"

The boys made their way to a hot dog vendor.

"Man... I can't wait until we eat someplace where the condiments aren't served out of the back of an Oldsmobile," Alex said, walking up to the man cooking the hot dogs. "Hey... Sorry, I go some pickle juice on your battery cables."

"No problem," the man replied. "It'll help with the rust." He clapped Alex's shoulder and chuckled.

"That can't..." The man chuckled again. "Okay." Alex walked back to his bandmates. "What?"

The three made their way inside a building and sat on a couch.

Reggie sighed happily.

"This is awesome, you guys," Luke said. "We're playing The Orpheum! I can't even count how many bands have played there and then ended up being huge." He leaned back as Reggie chuckled lightly. "We're gonna be legends!" He held out his hot dog. "Eat up, boys. 'Cause after tonight, everything changes."

The three toasted their hot dogs and bit into them. Reggie licked his fingers.

Alex glanced at his bandmates before saying, "That's a new flavor."

"Chill, man," Reggie told him. "Street dogs haven't killed us yet."

Luke bit into his hot dog for another bite.

A siren wailed outside. A horn honked repeatedly.