Chapter Six - Fury

It was an accident.

Just another slip up.

Kwazii personally thought he had been doing rather well not crashing the Gups. He hadn't crashed the Gup B for a week so far, and when he had gone out on his early morning drive he had had no intentions of going that fast. But one thing always led to another, and the temptation of trying to beat a smug sailfish was just too great.

So he used the turbo button.

Probably not a great idea, in retrospect, since it was highly unstable and was only really controllable a third of the time. Today was evidently the other two thirds of the time, when the Gup would shoot forward and start spiralling, rendering the steering wheel useless.

And then it would crash.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I didn't mean to! I can help you fix it! I accidentally used the turbo button, I can help you fix up the Gup! Please Tweak, give me another chance, matey -" The words tumbled out of Kwazii's mouth like a flowing waterfall as the two stood over the mangled remains of the Gup in the Launch Bay, after it had smashed into a group of boulders.

"Look! Just leave it, okay?" Tweak's voice cut through Kwazii's nervous babble like a knife through butter. "You've done enough."

"But I can help -" Kwazii argued.

"No you can't. You break Gups but you never have to be the one who fixes them. You get told instructions - don't use the turbo button except in emergencies - and you ignore them and never think of the consequences. Maybe not for you, apart from a slight headache afterwards, but for the person who has to repair the same Gup over and over again they are pretty big consequences. Like having to stay up until early hours fixing Gups! At least Shellington never crashed Gups on purpose after racing. You relish it!" Tweak paused for breath.

"But I can try and help -" Kwazii begun again.

"Don't even bother," Tweak said furiously. "Just go. Like you always do."

"But this time I -"

"Will do what, exactly? Hover around and get in my way? Hand me useless parts? You're not a mechanic, Kwazii. I am. Now get out."

"Please, Tweak, I -"

"Get out!" The engineer's voice was raised in anger and her eyes were blazing with fire. Kwazii knew it was no use arguing any more with her when she was like this. She was hardly ever this angry, she was normally quite chill about the whole thing. Now the stress seemed to be getting to her. And Kwazii was only just realising what she had to do to restore his Gup all the time.

"Matey, I'm sorry."

"Get out." Her voice was quieter this time and her eyes were lowered, but Kwazii decided that it would be best to leave.

So he did.

Leaving the engineer crouched over the smoking Gup, tears beginning to collect in her eyes as Kwazii walked away.