Chapter Three - Fixing

When Kwazii came into the Launch Bay, Tweak was down on her knees fixing something under the Gup C, her eyes narrowed in concentration as she worked. Kwazik drove in quietly and parked the Gup B nearby, noting as he did so how banged up the Gup C was. It had a dent in the front and the tail was bent almost beyond use. There was liquid kelp all over the windscreen. Kwazii recalled that the Captain and Peso had been out on one of Peso's healing missions to the kelp forest, so that explained the kelp.

"Hey Tweak!" He greeted.

He got a nod and a grunt in response as Tweak continued to weld something in the motor underneath the Gup C.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you about something..." Kwazii begun again.

Tweak poked her head out from underneath the motor. There was oil smudged all over her face and her headband was askew on her forehead, but she still looked fiery and defiant. Beautiful, in Kwazii's opinion. As a friend, of course.

"You managed not to crash it. Congratulations!"

Kwazii grinned. "I was very careful this time."

Tweak smiled. "Just keep that up, Kwaz."

"Will do," Kwazii assured her. And he did want to, if only to keep that smile on her face. "Can I talk to you about something?"

Tweak looked back at the motor underneath the Gup C, which appeared to be smoking gently. "Um... hate to ask this but can it wait just a little while? I'm right in the middle of something and I can't leave this right now."

"Oh that's fine matey," Kwazii said quickly.

Tweak smiled again. "Thanks Kwaz. You'll have my full attention later. It's just this fume converter under here has overheated and I need to weld it shut before the fumes escape. It won't take long."

Kwazii nodded and watched as Tweak crawled back underneath the Gup C. He loved the excited gleam in her eyes when she spoke about engineering. It was obvious she loved her work.

Dashi and Shellington drove in at that point, with Dashi at the wheel of the Gup E and Shellington co-driving alongside her. Well, resting one hand on the wheel. They were both laughing animatedly about something or other, pure joy clearly evident on both of their faces. Shellington was using his other hand to gesticulate wildly about something and Dashi was laughing lightly while easily bringing the Gup to a halt beside the Gup B. Kwazii couldn't help but feel a tiny bit jealous of all the time they got to spend together, since they did similar jobs.

"Hey Kwazii," Dashi greeted, hopping out of the Gup E quickly. "Hey Tweak."

"Hi Dashi," Tweak replied, her voice muffled by the Gup she was working under.

"Is there food?" Shellington asked with a grin.

Kwazii grinned back. "I'm sure there is matey. Let's go up and see."

The three Octonauts went up inside the Octo Chute, leaving Tweak working busily underneath the Gup C. Kwazii looked back once before jumping up the chute. Tweak had her eyes glued to something underneath the Gup, working with a tight smile on her face. Kwazii wished she wasn't so busy all the time. It would be nice to see her more often when she wasn't underneath a Gup or in her workshop.