Chapter Four - Dinner

Tweak didn't appear all through dinner, even though Kwazii looked out for her hopefully. Nobody seemed to notice her absence that much, although Peso did comment on it when they first walked in without Tweak. Kwazii chewed half-heartedly on a kelp cake, not really tasting it. His mind was far away on other things.

It was almost an hour later and the water outside was dark and calm. The Vegimals were scuttling around collecting dishes and chattering loudly, and the Octonauts were beginning to leave in twos or threes from the HQ when Tweak came in, looking exhausted. There was soot covering her face and paws, which she was trying to wash off with a clean cloth and only really getting the cloth dirtier in the process. Still, Kwazii couldn't stop his face breaking out into a wide smile when she entered. She was still beautiful when covered with soot, maybe even more so.

"Didn't know you were planning to dye your fur black today," he joked.

Tweak grinned. "Yup, it looks that way, doesn't it?"

"Saved you a kelp cake," Kwazii said slightly sheepishly, bringing out a slightly squashed kelp cake from next to him.

Tweak's smile grew. "Thanks Kwaz. I'm starving!"

Kwazii grinned back. "Not surprised. Did you get what you needed to done?"

The bunny took a large bite into the kelp cake before replying with her mouth half full. "Yeah. The fume converter had to be replaced in the end, it had been cut almost completely in half. I mean, I'm good, but I'm not that good."

"I'm sure you could have fixed it eventually," Kwazii assured her.

"Maybe so, but it would have been more expensive to fix than it would be just to replace. There's no point by a certain stage." Tweak took another large bite into the cake, giving a satisfied sort of grunt.

Kwazii chuckled and sat back in his seat, just happy watching her eat. Everyone had left now, only a couple of Vegimals were scurrying around just picking up the last plates quietly. Tweak seemed unaware that he was watching her, her eyes half-closed as she ate the last of the kelp cake with another bite before yawning.

"Tired?" Kwazii asked sympathetically.

"Long day," the rabbit answered with another yawn that she tried to smother with a paw.

"It's almost nine now," Kwazii informed her.

"An early night tonight," Tweak decided. "I've finished the repairs early today."

"Half past eight is early?" Kwazii asked sceptically.

"Early for me. Sometimes there's so much to repair that I'm up until half eleven."

Kwazii reflected on this quietly. "I - I didn't know."

Tweak shrugged slightly. "It's no big deal. I get a lie-in in the morning, makes up for it."

He had technically finished 'work' at around four. Going on missions, that sort of thing. Then he had just been able to drive in the Gup B. Kwazii hadn't realised how late Tweak worked. Well he had noticed but not really taken it in. That must be why they never seemed to spend any time together.

"Anyway, you had something to tell me?" Tweak prompted, stifling another yawn.

Kwazii shook his head. "It's nothing. Something that probably wasn't very important anyway."

"You sure?"

"Yup. Get a good night's sleep matey."

Tweak smiled again. She had a pretty smile when she wasn't busy. This one was fleeting and not as large, but more genuine somehow. "Sure will."

Kwazii contemplated taking her hand, blurting it out, anything in that split second, but the moment passed and he lost his nerve. "...Night then," he finished weakly.

Tweak stood up, passing her plate to a waiting Vegimal and shooting Kwazii one last grin. "Night - Kwazii."