Pt. 3 || Becoming (2) (Douxie's POV)

Ring! Ring! Ring!

My phone started ringing, meaning someone was calling me. I reached my hand over to my nightstand and picked the call up.
"Hello?" you said.
"Douxie! Where are you? You're late for your shift! Get over here!" Mr. Benoit screamed.
"Yes sir!" you replied, hanging up.
You were so late. You quickly got dressed and ran out of your apartment. On the way out your cat, Archie stopped you in front of the doorway.
"Arch! I'm getting late for my shift! Move!" you scolded him.
"Douxie, you're forgetting something," Archie said.
"What?" you asked, getting impatient.
"Your shoes!" Archie shouted.
You looked down at your feet. They were bare. In all the rush, you had forgotten about your shoes.
"Thanks, Arch!" you said, hastily putting my shoes on.
"Bye," Archie said.
"Bye!" you shouted back, running out.

You ran across town and into Mr. Benoit's. You scrambled inside the staffroom and got to work. After about 2 hours, up to finished up your last task and got out of the cafe. You checked the time, it was almost time for your shift at the bookstore. You walked over to the bookstore when you spotted y/n sitting outside the museum. You walked over to her, wondering what she was doing in town, since the whole ankle problem yesterday. You noticed she was looking at her phone. She seemed to be a bit worked up over something.
"Looks like someone is frustrated," you commented.
She looked up from her phone to face me. Her e/c eyes were so hypnotizing. You could stare into them all day. You snapped out of your thoughts when y/n started talking.
"Oh hey, Douxie. I was just researching but didn't find out what I was looking for," she told you.
"Ah, I see. Well, I see you're in town, so your ankle must be okay. Right?" you asked, concerned for her.
"Yeah, it's better. It still hurts a bit, but I can handle it," she said, walking over to a nearby bin to throw some foil.

"Well, are you interested in books?" you asked, wanting her to come by the bookstore and spend some time there.
"Yeah. Why?" she asked, curious why as to why you suddenly brought up the topic of books.
"Well, the bookstore I work in isn't far, wanna come?" you asked.
"Yeah sure," she replied.

Yes!

The two of you walked to the bookstore, chatting about her life. When you had arrived, you held the door open for her and bowed.
"Why you're very chivalrous," she said.
"Thank you, m'lady," you joked.

The two of you walked inside. You noticed y/n walk over to a shelf and started skimming through the titles. You went behind the counter and pulled out a book that Master Merlin had written, back when we were in Camelot. She might be interested, so you walked over to her and tapped her shoulder. She spun around and you held out the book.
"What about this?" you asked, handing her the book.
She read the title and asked, " Wait, Camelot as in 12th century, medieval times Camelot?"
"Yeah, I guess. I don't know. This book had been here for ages, no one has ever shown any interest in it so far. You're the first," you lied.
You didn't want to lie to her, but you had no other choice. If you did not want to reveal your past and get close to her, you had to lie to her. You would tell her eventually but now wasn't the time.
She walked over to a couch and sat down, starting to read it.

You thought of getting something for her, so you walked to the back and got some lemonade out of the fridge. You poured the lemonade into two, glass cups and walked back to the front.
"I got lemonade!" You declared, to no one in particular.
You saw that y/n jolted up a bit. You must've frightened her, but who knows? You went up behind her and handed her a glass. You sat beside her on the couch and looked over her shoulder, wondering if she liked it or not.
"Is it good so far?" you asked.
"Yeah. It's interesting to see Merlin's perspective of Camelot and King Arthur. Plus it's funny to see the little notes in the margins," she said, pointing to a note.
You had written those notes, wanting to make the book more fun, not just filled with boring facts. So whenever you got a chance, you would write some notes in the margins. It was fun. One time you had gotten caught, resulting in a long lecture from Master Merlin, but after that incident, you never got caught.
"Well, I hoped you like it. Want to buy it?" you asked, finishing up your lemonade and putting it on the table in front of you.
"Actually yes. How much is it?" she replied, closing the book.
"As I said, the book has been lying around for ages, so, it's on me," you repeated.
"No. You have two jobs and on top of that, you study. You deserve the money," she denied, getting $15 and handing you the money.
You shook my head, shoving the money back into her hand. She looked like she was about to protest when an idea popped into your head. You jumped off the couch.