1: Flying

Please be aware that this fic contains themes regarding SA. There is nothing explicit but if you are uncomfortable by this topic, I advise you to stop reading. I will also be putting similar warnings on the specific chapters where the themes show up so people are warned beforehand.

...

One thing about photos was that they captured just one single moment in time. It was almost like someone had the power to stop it just by pushing a single button. Unlike on TV, there were no consequences by stopping the flow either. That was why it was your favorite. Time was a fickle thing that no human controlled. No one really understood it either. But the camera did. The camera had power.

You pressed the battery into your own camera in particular, fully charged. After closing the cap, you looked through the view finder. Everything seemed to be in working order. You smiled to yourself at the thought of taking photos again. The sunlight was just right for it too. Your mind stirred the cooking pot of ideas you had for potential works. The thought of creating something for the world to see was exciting, but terrifying. It will still be there when you are gone. And it will carry on once the world ends.

You grabbed your means for transportation, a skateboard, and left the house. "I'm heading out," you called to whoever was still inside.

"Take care sweetie," your dad was the one that called back. Really that was who you expected. It would be weird if some stranger was in your house and ended up calling you such affectionate names.

While you did step outside, you ended up fiddling with your camera for just a bit longer. You forgot that you took photos inside yesterday instead of outdoors. So, the camera needed to be on the proper settings for sunny weather. It wouldn't be good to not the the results of the actual photos. That wouldn't be the god of time's doing at all.

So, when everything was just perfect for the camera, you finally headed out on your skateboard. Your camera was attached to a strap wrapped around your neck so you didn't have to physically hold it. Still, you couldn't help but keep a hand on it as you pushed off the ground to propel the skateboard forward. The sound of wheels against the concrete put you at ease. It was almost like a known prayer being recited to the divine beings up above.

Things like that made skateboarding worthwhile. You could take closer looks at the scenery of the world better than you would a car or bike. Those two things made you look forward so you wouldn't hit anything. However, you could look around a whole lot more with a skateboard. Your mom taught you that when you first got on one at the ripe age of five. They were wise words that stuck with you, even today at sixteen years old.

Although now, you used it to look at the scenery. Nothing today really caught your eye. It was weird since there usually was something near your house you would take a photo of. However, you had to tread on in the heat to find something interesting.

Someone would call this weather perfect. You'd say that summertime had its perks. There was a lot of greenery, but that was more suited for spring. Summer only brought the smell of saltwater and people in swimsuits way too small for them. You would find yourself focused on the shadows created by the trees, or even your own. They were always so apparent in sunny weather like this, and it brought a great contrast between the light and dark. Both were in such perfect harmony.

You soon neared the skatepark, a place that was usually empty. It was something you didn't pay attention to, until today. Instead of no one, you saw a lone boy. You stopped your own skateboard, and watched him. The lighting was just right as mystery boy popped an ollie over a setup of two waterbottles laying sideways. His red hair was pulled back by a headband, which didn't do a good job of keeping it out of his eyes. However, the wind made up for it by tousling his hair around as he was practically flying.

It was as if time slowed down as mystery boy finally noticed you looking at him. Swirls of different shades of gold were in his eyes, accented by the shining sun of summertime. Here at this moment would be a wonderful shot. The angle you stood in was just right for taking one right then and there. However, you did not ask him. Such a waste of the perfect photo, as well as such an interesting subject. You'd never seen someone that looked quite like mystery boy.

He landed perfectly, without a scratch on his body, no bottles being knocked over. You found yourself clutching onto your camera, regretting not taking a photo. The god of time would be so disappointed in the power you didn't take advantage of.

Mystery boy looked to you for just a moment, and his eyes lit up. "Wait, you saw me right?" he asked.

You could only nod, wondering if you should ask for him to do it again for a photo. However, the good sunlight went away. And the fact that mystery boy wasn't in the air anymore made it less possible. Although you could ask him to redo the trick, but that would be too much to ask from a stranger. Let alone a boy.

"Wow! I can't believe I just did that," mystery boy's eyes lit up. "That was a perfect ollie. Don't you think?"

"I guess so," you averted your gaze from him as if he were the sun itself. Well, you were sure there were two of them, what with those golden eyes of his. The thing was, socializing with other humans, especially men, were not your strong suit. You only wished that he would leave you alone instead of keeping on talking.

"You skate too, right?" mystery boy finally noticed the board at your feet. You were only gently pushing it back and forth with the front of your foot as you talked to him.

"Yeah," you said.

"How long?"

"Eleven years."

"Seriously?!"

Mystery boy chuckled a bit, rubbing the back of his neck. He surely was an interesting subject. "I've only skated for a few months," he smiled sheepishly, embarrassed to be in front of some photographer that also happened to skate. "I'm Reki by the way, Kyan Reki," Mystery boy now had a name.

"[Last name] [Name]," you said. It was only polite to give your name when they gave theirs to you. You then sighed, thinking it was time to ask him. "Um, can you do me a favor?" you asked.

"Yeah, what?" Reki quirked his brow.

"Will you do that ollie again?" you asked. "It's just that when I first saw you, you were at the perfect angle for a photo. The lighting was really good too. But I didn't want to take one without your permission--"

"Sure I'll do it," Reki cut you off before you could ramble on about photographer etiquette.

You blinked a couple times at his reaction. It was so nonchalant, and you were just a stranger.

Soon enough, Reki pushed off his skateboard, ready to do the ollie again. All the while, you waited for him to be in the air. The lighting was still good, surprisingly, and Reki was in the air before you noticed. The god of time's work was done again as you used the power given to you. The photo was of Reki midair, over the bottles. It looked as if he were in the middle of the ocean, although it Thank goodness the shutter speed was correct our you would have to ask him to do it again. You smiled in satisfaction at the final work.

"How'd it turn out?" Reki leaned over your shoulder, tilting his head. You stiffened for a moment, not having shown your photos to anyone. The work wasn't even finished yet either. You would have to do further editing to it. So why would this boy want to see it now?

You gingerly held out the camera, showing him the product. His eyes then lit up. He did that quite often you found, and he smiled.

"Woah, you're so talented," Reki said. He sounded so genuine too. His smile was bright, the brightest you'd ever seen. And at this point, you found that this photo subject to be someone special.

By the time you had to leave him, you were thinking back to how joyful he was. It was nice meeting you, was what he said before you were gone. And you found that it was nice meeting him too.

...

Yeah, it's been awhile

Hello, I hope you enjoyed this very first chapter of this fic. I wanted to experiment with a new writing style with this one due to how different this character is in comparison to the others I've written. I really hope this one turns out well. 

-Joos