8: Keep Your Head Low

You found yourself at Dope Sketch again, having given Langa the photo of his first ollie. Of course, you expected him to ask for it. Reki had done the same thing. It was only natural for him to follow in his footsteps. The pattern you just discovered was just making its first repeat. At least, that's what you told you father when you found it just yesterday.

Maybe that's your way of socializing, he told you that when you asked him if something like this was normal. He was just too happy that you were excited about something that had nothing to do with being secluded in your room and editing photos. Maybe that's why he supported your photography in the first place, because you would be outside.

Currently, you were leaning over the side of the counter of the shop. Reki had dragged you here after school, a new part of your routine set by the world around you.

"This guy's a genius I tell ya," Reki had his arm over Langa's shoulder. The blue haired boy was still looking at the photo though. He didn't have to be that engrossed. It was just a picture of himself. But maybe like with Reki, Langa saw more than that.

"That was simply jumping over a twig, right?" Oka asked. He was about as unimpressed as you were on a regular basis.

"Hold it!" Reki had slammed one of his hands on the counter, causing you to jump. It was at just this moment that the bell chimed, signaling that someone entered the store.

"Welcome!" Oka greeted whoever came in, but his voice trailed off. "You're..."

The person that just showed up was a young boy, not much younger than you. His hair was black, having a little sailor hat covering it. He had on a typical navy blue, middle school uniform. Yeah, he was definitely younger, given the shorts he wore. Although, he walked with a sort of confidence that let people know that he was good at what he does. You could see it in his green eyes. You could make a few guesses as to why he was here too. His skateboard was held behind his back after all.

"You've gotta be kidding me?" Reki exhaled. "The Japanese National Hopeful, Chinen Miya?!"

"Hey, you there," Miya's voice was a bit high. "Run a beef against me at S."

Reki flinched, before sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. "Beef?" he said. "It's a bit sudden but..."

"I have no need for slimes," Miya's gaze was cold, practically glaring at your friend. He was now in front of Langa, looking up at the taller boy. "I haven't heard the ding of leveling up again in awhile. You're fine with it right?"

You wondered how the boy even found out that Langa worked here. Well, it was one of the few skate shops in town after all. Yet, the way he found it was so easy. Someone had to have been watching you. But from where? Where was the camera? Where was the stalker trying to get a hold of you and your friends. You frantically looked around the room as Sketchy watched with what looked like concern. It was to the point where Miya took a glance at you in the middle of you thought process.

"Don't do it," Reki said amidst your crisis. "He's on a whole other level."

"You were a snowboarder right?" Miya ignored him. "I'd like to see the skating that won against Shadow."

You recalled what happened back then. The firecrackers, the duct-tape, you spraying pepper spray into a man's eyes. Langa had impressed you that day, and he's only gotten better since then. Well, he knew how to stand on a board without his feet attached to that was enough to call progress. It only took your attention away from the potential stalker for a second. However, you were back to worrying.

"I accept the challenge," Langa said.

"Stop it. Don't get so cocky now that you nailed an ollie," Reki said. "This kid is on the Japanese National Team."