5: Suitcase Full of Spring

Reki had a weird way of doing things. This you've known. However, teaching someone was something you never remembered seeing from him. Most people did not want to talk to him about his interests. And well, you had years of skating under your belt. So, nothing came up for Reki to shine. Well, other than the time's he brought you to his skateboard work station at his place. Apparently there were two. And yes, one of your photos was hung up. Still, you never found the courage to ask why.

So, you were brought here, in the back of the school with Reki and Langa. All during lunch. It wasn't like you wanted to eat or anything. Totally fine with you.

"First, you put your rear foot on the ground while the other foot is on the top of the deck," Reki pointed to the four holes created where screws would be. "Right around the screws on the nose."

Langa did as he said, using his right foot for the front of the skateboard. A bit strange, but not anything you haven't seen before.

"Huh? Goofy," Reki said to himself.

"I snowboarded this way," Langa said, supposedly hearing him.

"Oh. Anyways, next you put your rear foot on the deck."

It sounded so simple, but Reki forgot about the balance part. This lead Langa hesitating quite a bit. He was shaking from head to toe while his foot was lifting off and landing back on the ground. This was normal for most, someone can never know when they might fall. Even you experienced that fear. Although, it was heightened.

"You can hold my hand if you're scared," Reki held his hand out to Langa for just a moment. The gesture was innocent, enough, yet you couldn't understand how he could say that so casually.

"I'm fine," Langa said before actually putting his rear foot on the deck like he was supposed to. However, this lack of confidence he had lead him to fall down. Well, not until after the board went back and forth before actually rolling away from right under him. Langa fell on his back, groaning as he did.

"This thing moves," Langa exhaled.

"What happened was you got cold feet and your center of gravity switched to the back," Reki went over to the stray skateboard. "Before putting the rear foot on, keep the center of gravity at the front. Once it's on, keep it right at the center." Reki stood on the board perfectly, not even flinching so he could keep his balance. From Langa's perspective it might've been way too simple. But that was the thing about skating, it wasn't.

"Yours doesn't move," Langa said.

"That's the point," you muttered. Teaching this boy was definitely going to need some hard work.

...

There was a tree in the backyard of your home that you always went to on your off time, as well as when you wanted to be alone. Your dad couldn't bother you, neither could Reki. You only had the nature around as you rested against the bark. This special time was called 'tree time' and it was the highlight of your day.

Your fingers traced the lines of a piece of grass you picked from the ground. Lines were apparent, and hard to divert from, even when you scratched it with your nails. A little water that kept the grass alive came out when the fingernail pulled it apart. You found yourself smelling like grass as pollen fell from your fingertips under the shade the tree provided. The sun was in a perfect spot too where the right amount would be cast down from the trees branches and stump. You hummed in content, leaning your head against the tree.

Birds chirped their little songs, giving nature itself a soundtrack. All the while, you thought about what had just happened at school.

Langa had successfully learned how to stand on a skateboard without duct-taping his feet to it. It was quite the achievement on his part. You didn't know he had it in him.