11: The Wall Keeps Out the Enemy

TW: implied SA, trauma recovery

You didn't remember what time it was, but the sky was still dark. You had been hoping that it was going to be a regular day of school tomorrow. That nine year-old brain of yours was foolish to think that.

The covers had been pulled away from you, your father standing next to your bed. Even when the lights were off, you never forgot the worried look on his face. Well, it was more like devastation from the call he got. You rubbed away any crust in your eyes and yawned. "Papa, what's wrong?" you asked.

"It's hard to explain," your father grabbed you by the shoulders. "Just get dressed and we'll go to the hospital."

"Is mama back?" you asked. You remembered your father saying that she was going to get home late.

"Something happened to her," he said. "That's why we're going to the hospital."

You would not forget the loud voices filling the room. The nurse had no idea how to explain something so adult to a child. Mama was laying in a hospital bed, beaten and with shaking hands. She was lucky she hadn't died from the supposed 'encounter' as it was described when you were around. Sometimes they would whisper the actual word to each other. It was a word you didn't get, but still heard that day.

And then there was what mama said to you when you were at her bedside. She looked just as desperate as your father did. Tears pricked her eyes.

"[Name], never let a man take advantage of you. Don't even let one near you unless you really trust them. Can you do that for your mama? Please?" there was a semblance of a sob when she begged you to keep your promise. You didn't blame her for saying this so suddenly, and without explanation. That was a running theme for that night. But you took those words and they became a rule in the back of your mind. And they would continue to echo in the present.

A nine year-old would not understand what happened back then. You only learned what really did when you found what that word the nurse whispered meant.

...

The teacher's words this morning were not getting to you. They were muddled as you wrote down notes. All the while you heard the voices of Reki and Langa behind you.

"You're always like this," Reki said in a hushed voice. "Why do you just go off and accept stuff?"

"Why are you so quick to challenge Adam?" Langa retorted, again hushed.

"Because I was pissed," Reki said. "You saw the way he acted back at S."

"And I wanted to skate."

"Huh? What part of that guy made you want to skate with him? Though I guess the mask was kind of cool."

"Neither of you are good at whispering, you know that right?" you muttered. This was confirmed when both boys were caught by the teacher. They received a light bonk to the head with a piece of paper. You were glad this made them stop talking and pay attention to what was going on. This was a conversation you didn't want to hear after all. Adam was officially on the list of men you hate after all.

Lunchtime was the same routine. You didn't want to listen, but ended up hearing the boys talk more about the beef. As you ate your food, you stayed silent. You not talking a whole lot was normal after all. Surely they wouldn't notice you speaking even less than you already did.

Well, you were wrong.

"[Name], you've been really quiet," Reki said. "Like, a whole lot more than usual."