2: It Ain't Natural

It had been about a year since you were adopted by the extrovert that was named Reki. The friendship started off as you just studying the boy for future projects. It all led to him thinking you wanted to be friends and now here you were. You found yourself fond of the redhead as you hung out with him more. Now, you're practically attached at the hip. Well, if someone's definition of 'attached at the hip' was one person following the other around.

This time in particular was no different. However, you had to go out late at night. It meant that you had to get past your dad, so you had to make sure he was asleep, or at least distracted.

You made sure not to step on one of the squeaky floorboards. His room was just down the hall, yet it seemed endless. Once you got to the actual door, you found that your dad was asleep. You sighed, having the best opportunity to escape. But you were also disappointed since you wouldn't be able to take your camera with you. Still, you were going to go.

And so you made your way through the winding roads to where you would meet Reki. From the way his voice was pitched as he talked about what was really going on, he was excited. You found yourself smiling while skating down the winding road, and it wasn't because of the wheels against concrete. This time, the moonlight shining down on the road, dim and delicate, was the small thing that made you jump for joy today.

It was then that you got to the location Reki wanted you to go, a little shop called Dope Sketch. The thing was, he wasn't there. It was only an older man that looked like a janitor. His hair was a rusty brown and he had bags under his eyes.

"Hello?" you said awkwardly.

"Oh, I guess we haven't met," the man said. "I'm Reki's manager. Just call me Manager Oka." He held out his hand for you to shake. He seemed friendly enough. Still, you kept your distance. He was a man after all.

"Where's Reki?" you tried not to make eye contact with Manager Oka, instead looking anywhere else. It was almost like you were scanning the area for the redhead. There was a slight breeze that crept up your skin as you were desperate to find your friend, the only boy you could really trust.

"I honestly have no idea," Manager Oka said.

"Oh."

You kept standing in silence as crickets became the soundtrack of summer's night. You thought of them as different notes on a sheet of music, although you could barely comprehend what they were. It was the most you could focused on since white fluorescent lights blocked off the moon and stars from illuminating the street with their light.

The sounds of wheels against concrete ended up getting louder and louder. Although it didn't come from your skateboard. It was Reki's. He was here.

"You're late Reki," Manager Oka yawned.

"Sorry," Reki sheepishly rubbed his neck. "Something came up back at my place."

You were soon driven somewhere underground. It was a race that no one really talked about out in the open. The ones who knew would congregate there to participate in a race. It was upon a winding road of an abandoned mine. Rocks were stuck out that participants would have to maneuver through, lest they end up with a few broken bones. It all ended in an abandoned factory, a metal castle was what you called it. There were so many transpires that weren't finished that could be set up for some great photos.

Wheels against dirt and metal were much different than concrete was what you found. The metal would echo while the dirt muffled. You didn't like either of those sounds. However, you found that Reki bringing you along with him to this track made him happy. So, you kept going with him. There was also the fact that you could skate there without a care in the world. Although you preferred the nature rather than warehouse walls and factory floors.