Good Company

It was a certain rumour, you see, that; overnight; crept into the home of every noble in the kingdom.

It was similar to a storm in a room, for it came and caused a ruckus quickly and suddenly, and promptly left whatever it touched in shambles. Such was the fragile hierarchy within the nobility. For words could shake them even when actions couldn't. 

Words that involved...

'... An engagement? Between the sixth princess and my grandson!? Is it true, my sweet, lovely Sylvia!??'

The Countess thought of her father's panicked letter as she sat in the orangery the following morning. She and the Count staring at a sight they knew they would some time in the future, but not this soon. Well, certainly not as soon as overnight.

And certainly nothing that involved one of the emperor's daughters, as a matter of fact!

'I must apologise profusely for arriving without prior word,' the sixth princess smiled benevolently, sighing as she brought a hand to her cheek. 'Though I am ashamed to admit it, I was much too eager to officially announce our engagement. William isn't exactly a man of many words, I'm sure you know...'

'Yes, yes, certainly,' came the Count's reluctant agreement of the claims, clearing his throat in an attempt to shake his wife out of her stupor. 'I understand, Your Highness. It's just that this is all so sudden and happened so soon... I'm afraid we do not know exactly how to proceed.'

The princess beamed, and the pair swore they saw a halo of light around her. The entire kingdom knew of Princess Daisy's fabled beauty, but it felt more like an understatement at this point. The young noblewoman was practically aglow with grace and charm.

'Please leave it to me, Mother and Father. I swear - on the name of Princess Daisy von Wolff - that I will bring the Blazkowicz name no dishonour.'

The last time Sylvia Rosa Blazkowicz found herself thinking so long and hard about something was during her son's infanthood. Because the moment the princess curtsied and bid them farewell, she fell into a similar state; the Countess intertwining her hands as she contemplated deeply.

The Count watched her with unmasked concern. 'D-dear?'

'Something is going on.'

'I beg you?'

'Something here can't be right...,' she whispered, closing her eyes. She remained that way for a long moment before she said, 'Dear, she might be too perfect for our son.'

'What...!' the Count's jaw dropped. 'More importantly, she must have some ulterior motive! Why else would a princess want our William as a suitor? She has plenty more choices. There must be more to this than she's letting on!'

'That may be so, but we cannot miss this opportunity.'

'Opportunity?'

'An opportunity to move up the ranks and into royalty, Walter!' she cried. 'Think of their children. They cannot carry the title of a Count forever!'

'Children...!' The Count swooned at even the prospect. 'We cannot let this happen. For the sake of the Blazkowicz honour, I will not allow such an improper union!'

'Dear!'

A loud blast sounded from the other side of the orangery, bringing a swift close to the couple's quarrel. Following it was a barrage of loud cracks and bangs. It was enough to diffuse the tension in the room as they returned to intertwining their hands over the table somberly, both lost in deep thought. That was the moment the two came to a concession.