The Engagement Pt. I

It went without saying that certain milestones were considered sacred for the nobility. Birthdays were one of them.

However, the sentiment paled over the years for the Blazkowicz family when the Count and Countess failed to move their son with big, gaudy celebrations of it. The heir of Lucius certainly dealt a number prying the Blazkowicz young master out of his shell. But the enormous cakes, copious gifts, and games catered to him once every year to thrill the boy seemingly only enthralled everyone else instead.

For William Joseph Blazkowicz III was no normal child, and possibly never would be... which was why the Countess realised her hopes of ever experiencing an orthodox milestone with her son finally presented itself in the form of Daisy von Wolff, the sixth princess.

'A formal announcement...?' Daisy echoed, grateful to have her teacup raised so as to hide her surprise. 'Countess, I believe that's already been taken care of through the royal letters I had sent.'

'That will not do, Princess.'

'It... won't?'

'Certainly not! The Blazkowicz family may not be the wealthiest, but what we do have is nothing to scoff at,' Sylvia said proudly, waving a fan in one hand. 'I'm thinking a party to last for days. A soiree! A masked ball, a royal affair!'

The princess smiled widely in an attempt to hide her desperation. A temporary engagement was one thing. But to formally introduce themselves to the nobility as a couple was just too much!

'Please, Mother,' she tried, hoping the term of endearment would be her trump card. 'William has no interest in such affairs, and I intend to respect his wishes.'

'Of course he doesn't,' the Countess said too coolly, too calmly as she waved over a maid. 'That's all the more reason to do as we please, Your Highness. Summon the carriage! At once!'

So it was to be said that while the Doom Slayer continued to make progress on tools catered to the brutal annihilation of demons, the rest of the Blazkowicz Manor was gearing up for one of the most significant events in history. An engagement party she convinced the Countess to last - not one day, heavens, no - but three.

A single day was blasphemous. Unacceptable! The Countess swore she would go above and beyond to leave a lasting impression on all those who attended. It would be the 'engagement party of the century', she claimed... all to Daisy's utter horror

And not because of the fact that the union between the von Wolff and Blazkowicz families wasn't legitimate, but because of the lurking danger behind the grand event. The princess may not have known what incited the last two attacks, but thus far, the demons had a fondness for parties. Should she have sent them invites too? Maybe that way they wouldn't gatecrash so unceremoniously.

Daisy might have laughed at her own joke when the first night of the party arrived if not for her nerves. She might have even been pacing the entire guest estate anxiously if not for the fact that she was held back by the servants that groomed, dressed, and detailed the princess to perfection for the grand opening of the long-awaited event. 

It had taken all afternoon; a staggering five hours; when Daisy realised that the evening could not have approached any faster. Nervously, she peeked out of the nearest window, staring at the impossibly long line of carriages that waited to enter. Well, she was also looking for something else. 

Something with wings, maybe. Fire. Or a skull for a head.

'Let us leave for the party, Your Highness.'

'Just a moment. I don't believe this dress fits me quite right...'

'That is highly unlikely, Your Highness. It has been thoroughly measured to your specifications.'