The Engagement Pt. II

The third night of the grand engagement arrived without a hitch; the guests falling into a comfortable rhythm as with all social events, to everyone's unspoken surprise. 

For the rumours failed to linger for long. All judgement and prejudice slipping away the instant they saw the evidence for themselves of this unlikely union.

The Count and Countess couldn't have been more delighted by the outcome. William was - as always - detached from all sentiment whatsoever.

But there was someone who was unexpectedly troubled by it all. Someone who struggled to divert her thoughts or be distracted by the orchestra and dazzling decor. And that was Princess Daisy, who also struggled to get a certain someone out of her head.

Could anyone have blamed her, though?

No man showed a woman affection so casually. No man could treat a woman so thoughtfully and then walk off. Well, no man except for William Blazkowicz. Every time she thought otherwise, he'd make it a point to prove he truly wasn't from this world. Albeit in the boldest ways possible!

Daisy lingered near a window when the party died down, fighting with her thoughts. She had been nursing a flute of champagne she hardly drank from when a hand settled on her shoulder. Half of her expected it to be a certain someone. The other, a stranger to shake her out of the stupor that certain someone put her in.

But when Daisy turned, she was surprised to find the guest met neither of the above expectations.

'Petunia!' she cried, hardly able to fight the smile on her face. 'I'm so glad you could come.'

'It's a tad late, but of course I would!' Petunia - strawberry blonde and fuchsia-eyed - smiled from behind her fan. 'Even if dearest daddy might have forbid us from seeing you, you know nothing can keep my favourite sister from me, right?'

Daisy's grin widened; the noblewomen chuckling between each other. She ought to have been concerned for if their father found out about their reunion,  but her heart already felt lighter; her head, clearer. The seventh princess - Petunia von Wolff - had that effect, being the only one she had grown so close to in her childhood. After all, they were close in age too by barely a year.

'Besides, one moment you're adamant all men are crazy, and the next, you're marrying one! Is there anything I should be concerned about, Days?'

'You're fretting over nothing,' Daisy smiled, hoping she'd be able to lie to her sister in person as well as she did in her letters. Well, not that anything she had to say about him was a lie anyway. 'He's a good man.'

'You do realise that's impossible to tell from the way he... looks.'

Daisy shrugged as she sipped from her glass. 'I think he's handsome.'

'Either that or good in the bedroom.'

The princess almost choked on her drink. It took a couple of pats on the back from Petunia to recollect herself as she stared at the latter incredulously, trying not to imagine anything you wouldn't.

'I know you're the lewdest between us, but really, Nia...,' she murmured, dabbing at her lips gently with her fingertips. 'All those 'frisky' books of yours might have you single forever.'

'Not forever, Days.'

'Oh?'

'Duke Lucius's son is quite up my alley.'

Daisy scoffed, but nonetheless offered her an encouraging pat on the arm. 'Good luck, dear.'

'What is that supposed to mean?'