Memories...

• Dedicated to Dan McNally

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - Early Autumn 1969

"Cassie! You've received a letter from England!"

Cassie leBlanc, a tomboy of only six years tore down the stairs and left the carpet runner smoldering behind her. Her mother sighed and waved her wand to extinguish any possible threat of fire. Cassie's excited fingers held the letter as if it were a priceless antique...finally, she had an English pen pal.  She stared at it for a long time, gazing at the penmanship, the international postage stamp, and her name. Someone took great care with it, and as if it were a priceless heirloom. she held the letter up toward her mother. "I might rip it."

Chuckling, her very pregnant mother took the letter and opened it. "Excited are we?" Cassie playfully rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue. "Best not let your daddy see you do that."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Want me to read it to you, or is this a private communication?" Already knowing her child's response before it was even made, she poked the blade of the letter-opener into the paper and slid it down the crease of the envelope. "Air mail paper, made of what's called onion skin. Very expensive."

"Read it!?"

"I'm getting' there, hold on to your hippogriffs!"

Ann sat at her kitchen table, her daughter on her lap and read the letter aloud:

Hello Cassie,

My name is Lily. I'm eight and live in Cokeworth England. My mother learned of your letter at church and gave it to me. I hope that's all right. She says that I should tell you that we live in an industrial town, much like the town where you live. I of course argued the point that you have a horse, so that means you live in the country, far removed from the griminess of a large factory. She said that you probably board your animal. Who is right? I hope it's me!

I hope we can keep writing to each other till we're old and gray. Would be better to meet in person some day. I have enclosed a photograph. It's a bit old. I'm a bit bigger now. The girl on the swing with me is my sister, Tuney (she's the bigger one). Your photograph is quite lovely. How old is your horse and what's his name? You didn't say. My grandmother thinks he looks like an Arabian, which I think are quite lovely! Have you read the Black Stallion? I so love that book! That's who he reminds me of.

Please write back soon!

Sincerely,

Lily Evans

Ann handed the envelope to Cassie and she withdrew the photo of a little girl with red hair sitting on a swing with an older blonde haired girl.

"A no-maj," Ann said. "This letter was written with an ink pen and not a quill."

"Grandmother would call her a muggle"

Ann nodded. "Yes, and you can't tell her that we're wizard. Promise."

"Aww." Cassie's disappointment was evident in her voice. "Stupid law."

"A necessary one, so don't even think about hinting at it either. Promise!"

Cassie sighed and slid down her mother's lap and looked at the photograph closely. The little girl in the photograph seemed to have an air about her. "I promise. Hey, can I have some paper?"

"Sure Darling, you know where it is."