Endings and New Beginnings

Early Summer, 1980, Godric's Hollow

Cassie stood at the foot of the bed with a fresh cup of hot, steaming coffee for Sirius. He was laying flat on his back with his arm raised over his head and his breathing was even and strong. She grabbed the blanket near his foot and gave it a gentle tug, inching it down toward his belly. He slowly opened one eye and smiled.

"Is that a wand in your pocket sir, or are you just happy to see me?"

His smile widened. "Yes," he said lusciously. In a split second, he was at the end of the bed, straddling her. He untied the fabric belt to her housecoat and slid his arms around her waist and pressed his face to her breast. "Mmm--you're so warm."

"I brought coffee," she cooed.

"Oh yeah? What else did you bring me?"

"Umm--me?"

He nodded. "Good answer," he said softly and pulled the bodice of her nightgown slightly to the side and he kissed her bare skin.

"You don't have time for that," she whispered as she tried to wiggle away.

He lowered his head. "I know," he replied, covering her breast with soft tiny kisses. "So, I'll tell Moody that it's all your fault that I'm late."

She held the coffee cup beneath his nose and he inhaled the steam deeply. "I have a steak in the broiler, so you have to hurry up," she said.

"Mmm--three of my favorite scents--steak, coffee and you. How the hell am I going to survive the day without you?" He gazed up at her and pouted.

"Oh, I think you'll manage," she giggled. "Go, get in the shower and get ready for work before you're late. Please, I promised Moody--"

He nodded. "I know." he groaned as he flopped back toward the bed. Then, he leaned up on his elbows and watched her walk around the bed and placed the hot cup of coffee on the night table on what had become his side of the bed. "What are your plans for today," he asked.

"I thought I'd go window shopping with Lily--" she said.

"What's wrong with the one's we have? Besides, they're nothing wrong with our windows--I don't think it's a good idea for you to go and buy new windows when they're not even damaged to begin with. Save the money for our new windows when we  expand the house. Or, are they for their house?"

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "It's an expression, Goofy."

"Oh." Sirius grimaced. "Oh yeah speaking of shopping, Reg told me that mother-dear has placed an order for new china--she'll probably give us the old stuff as a wedding gift."

"Used china?"

He nodded. "Mmhmm."

"Gods, that's tacky."

He barked a laugh and fell back to the mattress. "Well, that's my mother for you. She probably thinks she's doing us a favor by gifting us with an actual family heirloom?"

"Oh. I didn't think about it like that--that's different. Hey come on--the clock is ticking whether you want it to or not. Please, go get in the shower?"

He rolled over and lay on his side and propped up his head. "Are you all right, Dee? Something is bothering you, I can tell. What is it?"

She turned around to face him and shook her head. "I started spotting this morning," she said quietly. Her face crumbled and he rolled off the bed and took her in his arms.

"I thought I smelled blood, but it's only traces and then you said you were making a steak--I'm so sorry, love."

"It just wasn't meant to be, I guess?"