Dreamboat Annie - Part Two

Cassie awoke in the wizard's hospital in New York City. By her bedside were Theo and Elizabeth. Theo was holding her hand and had his head down as she opened her eyes.

"Daddy?"

"Hey baby girl—you're okay."

"Daddy—" Her face crumbled and her voice cried out into a sorrowful mourning wail.

Theo reached over the sidebars on the bed and held on to his daughter with all his might as she wept unashamedly. He wished that he could take his child's pain away, but realized that she would carry it with her for the rest of her life.

A healer, realizing that she was conscious, approached quietly.

"We're still not sure what happened exactly, but we're sure that if she could answer some questions, we can figure it out. Then, there's the aurors too. They'll have questions as well."

"Aurors?"

"That's what Sirius is, Daddy," she said as she wiped her eyes and attempted to right herself wheezing as she fought to catch her breath. "It's kind of like a specially trained policeman. They specifically go after dark wizards." Theo held her inhaler to her mouth and squeezed when she nodded as she looked into his worried eyes.

"I see. He's on his way, by the way. He knew that something had happened to you."

Cassie nodded as she took a second breath with the inhaler.

The healer looked on. "Boyfriend?"

"He's her splitapart," Elizabeth said calmly.

"A twin flame. Whoa."

"She's a soul baby as well, they both are," Elizabeth added.

"I see. Well, lets have a look at your chest and let me have a listen--your breathing is terrible and you've quite the wound there. It's both magickly and mundanely produced and thankfully, it's healing at a remarkable rate. Does it hurt?"

"Only when I breathe," she said trying to ease the tension the others felt.

"Oh Cass, really," Theo asked.

"Sorry," she whispered.

"Can you tell me what happened, Cassiopeia," the healer asked.

"Well, he was angry. He wanted me to go with him and I said no and Mom said no and he said that if he couldn't have me that she couldn't either. That she had me long enough. Then he held his wand out and pointed it at both me and Mom—"

"Oh dear gods no," Elizabeth said under her breath.

"She pushed me out of the way and pointed her wand at me and shouted a spell just as he was saying his and it hit her instead of me. Except I don't think the whole thing hit her."

"What color was the light coming from his wand, Cassiopeia?"

"It was green and blue. Like a bolt of lightning, only not."

The healer nodded as he pulled down the bandage over her chest. "Mmhmm, go on."

"I remember my back hurt, because I think I hit the wall."

"There was foreign blood at the wound site. I say foreign, meaning that it wasn't yours. We were able to take a sample of it and have it analyzed."

Remus!

"Who's Remus?"

"What? I didn't say anything."

"You did. I heard you clearly. Who's Remus?"