Birthday Surprises Part Three

Cassie latched onto Remus's arm and prepared for the disapparation process. They walked out into a corridor that was deserted and disappeared from view with a faint pop. His disapparation was no less smoother than Sirius's. She looked around and realized they were in his bedroom and he had a peculiar smile on his face.

"I have something for you," he said. "It's not much, my earnings are fairly meager you see, but I wanted you to have it."

She took the small parcel from his trembling hands. "Thank you," she said.

"Of course, it can't compare to Sirius's gift—"

She glanced at him sideways. "Please don't be like that."

"Like what?"

"Please stop putting yourself down, okay?" She looked deep into his hazel eyes and stood on her tiptoes and pulled him down by his loosened tie for a kiss on the cheek. "I think you're great. And that is all that matters."

"Yes dear, sorry dear—"

"Funny," she said teasing as she tugged on his tie. "May I open it now?"

"Yes, please. You must release the ribbon the second it's free of the knot, alright?"

"Okay," she said thoughtfully.

She carefully pulled on the ribbon and it materialized into a Pegasus horse and flew upward into the air and she giggled joyfully. She pulled at the wrapping to reveal an ornate brown wooden box adored with little silver shapes of the moon phases around the perimeters of the lid. She tugged on the snug-fitting lid to reveal a small red velvet drawstring pouch and lifted it out. She looked at his face: there was no change—he was somber-looking. She could feel a chain along with a charm of some kind and pulled open the little bag and poured the contents from it. It was a silver chain and on it was a small crystal phial in the shape of a heart containing some dark red slow-flowing liquid. She realized it was blood and looked up at him, confused and puzzled.

"It's a protection charm. I can't very well mark you, can I?"

"Protection from what?"

"All manner of dark creatures."

"You mean, like werewolves?"

"Other werewolves actually. I cannot protect you from me. Actually, I would be even more attracted to you than I already am," he replied as his face grew hot.

"I see. Thank you," she said reverently and held it up to him. "Help me put it on?"

"Of course, that's how it works," he said smiling and he unclasped the fastener and removed it from the jump-ring, then refastened it around her neck.  "I should also tell you that it will not protect you from the Dark Lord, nor his followers, but I don't think that will be an issue for you to worry about."

"Not any time soon anyway," she said as she ducked beneath his arms and looked at their refection in the mirror. Only when the vial lay against her bare skin, did she feel a warm sensation coursing through her body. He put his arms around her and his chin on her shoulder and smiled. "I'll never take it off."

"As long as you wear that, you'll be protected from the likes of vampires, inferi, other weres—"

"You mean, like Fenrir Grayback?"

Hearing that name caused him to flinch inwardly. "Especially him. If you should happen upon him, he will know who gave that to you straight away." He looked away thoughtfully. "And he very well may taunt you for it."

She harrumphed and he chuckled.

"What's inferi," she asked.

"The undead."