Discoveries

Sirius informed Cassie that he was going to take her to see Remus and he could take her on to see Lily because the rain was making it difficult to operate the motorbike. He was delighted to learn that she knew how to be a passenger on a bike though. Usually any of the girls that he had as a passenger had no idea. This girl however, had gingerly placed her hands on his hips and barely held on instead, using her legs to balance herself. His mind raced about what had transpired in the pub, he still wasn't sure what had happened. What he did know was that he had to keep his mind on the safe operation of the bike in the rain. Finally they arrived at their destination...MacClarity's Rare and Used Books.

He opened the door to the old bookstore and ushered Cassie inside, the bell on the door announcing their arrival. The rain had soaked them both and although Sirius was compelled to shake himself dry, he resisted the urge. Cassie stood in the aisle, closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, then smiled. She loved the smell of old used books. The vanilla scent they emitted was soothing to her and reminded her of home. She opened her eyes to see a young tall tawny-colored-haired man standing at the other end of the store staring at her, a huge smile on his face, completely taken by surprise. In his arms was a large box of books that was obviously heavy as the muscles in his forearms quivered. He placed the box on the floor and looked up at her shyly. Sirius moved from behind Cassie and quickly moved toward his smiling friend.

"Here you go old man, special delivery." He turned toward Cassie and ushered her forward. "Remus, Cassie. Cassie, Remus. I'll let Lily know where you are so that she doesn't worry--you know how she is. So, I'll just leave you two to it. I'm going home." He smiled and added, "to plot my own demise. Toodles." He waved his fingers gingerly and turned toward the door and left the store quickly.

Sirius left so quickly that Remus was unable to thank him, or stop smiling.

"Permagrin," Cassie said, grinning herself.

"Sorry?"

"Permagrin. You've got permagrin."

"What's that?"

"A permanent smile. On your face."

"Ah

"Ah." He chuckled. "You've got it too, permagrin."

She blushed and felt her face grow hot. Her palms felt the heat in her cheeks. "Oh gods."

He held out his hand to her and the shopkeeper, making a noise, motioned that he should engage in an embrace instead. He pulled her toward him and she all but melted in his arms, listening to his heart beating madly. He inhaled deeply the scent of her hair and he pegged it as sandalwood and neroli with a hint of amber and found it soothing. "So good to finally see you in person," he whispered.

"I know, me too."

"Oi Remus! Why don't you go home?"

"Sir? But sir, I'm not finished with the delivery—"