Prologue: Chapter 0

"Onee-chan! Ryu-niichan's on the phone!"

A high pitched voice calls throughout the big house of the Chikafuji family. The person holding the phone is none other than the youngest child of the Chikafuji head family, Chikafuji Shinosuke. He has fluffy silver hair sitting atop his head with a cute face, and the famed Chikafuji azure eyes, which were currently sparkling at his accomplishment of answering the home phone correctly.

A flurry of footsteps are heard and a teenage female arrives in the big living room. The girl that just arrived is the sole daughter of the family, Chikafuji Emiko. Her silky blond locks were held in her usual half-up, half down hair style and the same cyan blue eyes that were reflected in both, curved up as she looked at her little brother with a smile. Walking over, she picks him up and holds him to her chest. "Thank you, Shinosuke. Good job answering the phone."

He lets out a giggle before handing the phone over, snuggling into her after. She adjusts her hold on him before turning her attention back to her phone. "Ryuu-chan, what's going on?"

"Emiko-chan. . ."

Uh oh. This was a bit out of character for the bubbly and easygoing male. His tone immediately raised a red flag in her head.

"Ryuu-chan, what happened?"

"Emiko-chan. . . my parents passed away in a plane crash."

She gasps sharply at the sudden despondent news. Her hold on Shinosuke stiffens, alerting him of her abnormal behavior. He looks up at his older sister, and to his surprise, she has an expression of sympathy. Emiko's brows furrowed and her teeth gritted slightly. She reigned in her emotions before asking him, "How are you and Kotaro-chan? If you need anything, just tell me."

"I think we're just still in shock. Tomorrow is the service for those who died on the same flight. Thank you for your consideration, though, Emiko-chan."

Her eyes watered at the thought of the two brothers, left alone. She bites her bottom lip to prevent herself from crying out.

"Ryuu-chan and Kotaro-chan, make sure to take care of yourselves."

"Mm. Thank you, Emiko-chan. I'll see you later, then."

"See you. . ." And with that, she ends the call.

She feels a small, soft hand placed onto her cheek. Looking at it, she sees that Shinosuke had put his tiny hand on her face. A concerned expression had overtaken his cute face. Emiko holds him tighter and he wraps his short arms around her neck, resting his chin on her shoulder. The miserable news is hard to process so she sits down on the massive white sofa. Shinosuke's eyes darted to his sister.

"Onee-chan? What happen to Ryuu-niichan?"

She lets out a deep sigh and pulls away slightly to see him. "Ryuu-niichan doesn't have his mama or papa anymore."

His head cocks to the left. "Why?"

She gives him a smile full of hidden meanings. "I'll tell you when you're older. Me and Ryuu-niichan can tell you together," she says as her free hand plays with his tiny fingers.

He lifts up a hand to show his pinky outstretched. "Promise?"

Emiko hooks her longer pinky around his and presses her thumb to his own before giving him a closed eye smile. "Promise."

Her gaze drifts from her little brother to the clock on the wall. Wait a minute. That clock is the one that's behind by 10 minutes and hasn't been fixed yet. She bolts up from the couch with Shinosuke still in her grasp.

"Ah! I'm late!"

"Onee-chan's late?"

She grabs her Chanel crossbody purse before rushing out the door while still holding Shinosuke. In her view, there is a black car waiting at the gated entrance of the estate. An elderly man is standing by the driver's seat and frantically looking around while simultaneously glancing down at his wrist watch. When he finally catches sight of the young lady and her brother, he sighs out in relief. His hands move quickly, opening the door for them and swiftly moving to drive.