69th reaping (pt 1)

Today was the annual reaping of the 69th hunger games. Of course, most people in my district are celebrating the idea of being sent into the games to kill people and dazzle the capitol with their skill. As district 4, part of the careers, this was expected.

I sat on the edge of the cliff by my house. The waves curled up around my feet, pleading to engulf me in their strange abyss of nothingness. It must have been around 7ish as the sun was beginning to rise and leak an orangey glow amongst the horizon.

I did not enjoy the thought of being reaped for the hunger games at 17 years old. Due to the age limit of 12-18, I was still in reach - which is annoying because my birthday is 3 weeks after the reaping. The most recent games won by someone from our district was the 65th hunger games.

Finnick Odair won the 65th annual games when he was 14. I assume he was only able to survive because of the sponsers he received due to his good looks. Although I feel sorry for him, being sent into the games at such a young age, I have to admit that he seems like a thoroughly self obsessed prick. The only time I ever see him is when he's surrounded by a group of girls falling at his feet  or with dodgy guy friends who are most probably on steroids.

Either way, I didn't intend to talk to a guy like him, I could sense his arrogance from simply looking at him. His cocky smile on tv didn't have the same affect on me as it did the other girls.  All he was was a handsome face and well known guy.

———————————————————————

I had spent a few nights worrying about the reaping and here it was, the morning of the annual games.

To an extent, I was used to the normal nerves at the idea of being picked. As my name had been in the reaping bowl several times now, I knew the routine of feeling anxious and then relieved. This year would be no different.

My thoughts were intercepted by the skids of wheels and faint laughter. I turned my head and swept the area with my eyes. In the far distance were a group of about 5 boys racing each other on bikes. They looked around 17-20.

There were two blondes, a ginger and brunette. As they rode by, one of the blondes and the brunette began to cycle heed to head, racing at the front of the group.

Whilst I was trying to identify the boys, I unintentionally made eye contact with the golden blonde at the front. Of course, it was Finnick Odair. He held my eye contact, without smiling, and lost his speed. Without hesitation, he looked back to his mates and cycled faster.

I couldn't tell whether his lack of charm was just a personal perception or if he was being a dick himself.

I thought to take no notice of it as I delved back into my current daydreams, fixating my gaze onto the sunrise. It was now streaked with light blue strips and a few clouds outlined with pink tints. The contrast of the light blue against the sunrise orange complemented one another.

I decided it was around time to go back home and get ready for the reaping. My family were almost always late, even with more preparation time than needed.

———————————————————————

As I got home my mother gave me a long hug and rushed me off to my room to get changed.

As I entered, my older sister, y/s/n, was waiting on my bed. She was 20 and had never been reaped for the games. It gave me a little bit of hope.

She gave be a bone-crushing hug.

"Same as always, y/n... You're anxious now but you're not going to get picked, don't worry."

The words she spoke gave me a slight form of reassurance.

She gave me one of her dresses to wear as I had told her that I liked it in the past. It was satin and a gorgeous f/c colour.

———————————————————————

We walked down the stairs to the hallway and I gave my brother and father tight hugs, just in case.

"You'll be fine, y/n" my brother spoke with ease. He hadn't been reaped either, along with my sister, which put me at peace.

There was the slimmest chance that I would get picked.

We all walked out the door of the house, as I was the youngest, they were just coming for moral support.

———————————————————————

As we arrived at the entrance, I parted ways with my family.

I cued up to get my blood extracted for evidence that I was at the reaping. I was so used to it by now that the sensation was barely a pinprick.

Soon enough everyone was ordered into rows, in front of the stage. A few butterflies gathered in my stomach. I would be fine.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 69th annual hunger games!"