The interview

Time skip the the last day in the capitol
____________________________

After a week of training, I scored a 10 out of 12. Atlas scored an 8.

I had tried keeping my mind off going into the games. I had hardly thought about making alliances. It had all come quicker than it should have really.

————————————————————————

I was waiting behind the stage for my interview. As part of district 4, we were fairly near the front. The girl from district 3 had just gone on stage.

I was wearing a sea green dress, a few sparkles here and there. It was more flouncy compared to the other one and had more frills - much to my dislike.

Atlas was behind me, waiting for his turn to go on stage. He didn't seem nervous.

I turned around to face him.

"I hate public speaking." I whispered.

He looked down at me.

"Fake it till you make it." He responded."They're not that smart and won't be able to see through it."

"Brutal" I chuckled at his insult towards the capitol.

"Alright it's your turn to go on... you'll be fine."
Atlas murmured, spinning me around to face the steps up to the stage.

———————————————————————

"And now for the lovely y/n l/n from district four!" Caesar Flickerman, the presenter, announced.

The crowd clapped and cheered wildly.

Although blinded by the spotlight, I gave a flashy smile and sat down.

"Hello Caesar" I said politely, shaking the man's hand. I would have to sanitise it later.

"Now just look how friendly she is!" He said to the crowd.

They responded with crescendos of "aw's" and cheers.

"Now, straight to it y/n, how did you feel when you were reaped for the games?"

"Well, of course at first I was completely shocked - I felt as if I was dreaming. If I'm really thinking about, Caesar, I just went with the flow and did what I was told to do." I had no idea what I was saying.

"How nice and mature of you." His patronising voice ringing in my ears.

That crowd clapped again.

"And what about the other tribute from your district? What's your relationship with him?" Caesar questioned.

"Well, I'm forever thankful that out of anyone, Atlas came with me. He's become such a good friend and he's such a good guy. He's really helped me a lot."

The crowd wend back at it again with the "aw's".

"I can see you both have a very nice relationship, let's hope it stays that way throughout the games."

He disgusted me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, y/n l/n everyone!"

I stood up and blew a few kisses, walking off the stage whilst leaving my fake sincerity behind me.

I saw atlas on the other side of the curtain, beginning to walk onto the stage.

———————————————————————

"So, Atlas, you have the capitol's heart and we've all been keeping up with your progress for the games... how prepared would you say you are?" Caesar asked.

"I would say that I've prepared as much as I think I can. Of course, you can't possibly prepare enough as you don't know what's in the arena - but I hope some of the skills I've taken on will come in as useful."

"Yes... good, good. Now, we've just had your fellow tribute, y/n, on here.  Do you plan on allying with her?"

Atlas and I hadn't talked about this much and I was intrigued to see his answer.

"To be honest Caesar, we haven't discussed anything or even talked about it much. All I can say is that I plan to protect her as much as I possibly can, she deserves to get out of that arena alive."

The crowd burst out with sympathetic cheers and croons.

"Well, it was an honour to speak to you and we're all rooting for district 4."

Atlas stood up, shook hands with Caesar, and walked off the stage towards me.

———————————————————————

He strolled down the steps with no trace of stress on his face.

"You smashed it" he said, flashing me a smile.

"Yeah, you too" I replied. "But don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Don't try and protect me over yourself."

I could see him processing my words, not knowing what to say, so I decided to change the conversation.

"So, are we going to be allies?" I questioned.

"If you want to be."

"I hope you don't drag me down then." I replied with a grin, walking away.

———————————————————————

I arrived back at the apartment to see Louisa and Carlos waiting. Atlas followed a little behind me.

"As you're both going into the games tomorrow, we just wanted to say that we're rooting for you and wish you the best." Louisa started off.

"You both have real skills and I think either of you have high chances to win." Carlos added.

I went and hugged them both, thanking them as I did so.

"Both of you go and get some sleep, make the most of it." Carlos said.

With that I went to my room, got ready for bed and fell asleep without delay.