69th hunger games (pt 2)

Only two cannons went whilst I was asleep - I had trained myself to ignore them.

On the second cannon I decided I should take watch and let Atlas rest.

I sat up, feeling tired and moody.

"Go to sleep then." I mumbled whilst turning to Atlas.

He had dark bags under his eyes, looking a bit drowsy.

"You look like shit." I grinned.

"Did anyone ever tell you how good a confidence-booster you are?"

"Aw, funnily enough you're the first one."

He turned around and fell asleep.

———————————————————————

Nothing eventful happened.

One cannon went off and that was it. Only 11 people left, including us.

The thought played on my mind how there could only be one victor. Both Atlas and I couldn't come out. It would only be one of us or none.

There was no way to make this thought disappear or at least ease. There was no positive outcome.

1 - we both get killed, not able to see our families or friends again.

2 - Atlas gets killed and I, his family and his friends would have to live with him dead.

3 - I get killed and wouldn't get to see my family and friends again either.

I could not deal with this. There wasn't even anything to deal with.

I leant my head back against my backpack, listening to my breathing to calm myself. It was raspy and shallow and did not help one bit.

I focused my attention elsewhere, keeping silent to hear the night around me.

Atlas' breathing was steady and even, it held a level of immense tranquility.

What went on in his mind to keep him so calm all the time - I have no idea. His presence was the absence of chaos. I wondered if his mind was the same.

If we hadn't both been reaped for the games, would we have become friends otherwise? Again, I have no idea.

I liked to think so.

I liked to think we would have hung out with each other without the games forcing us together.

———————————————————————

Atlas awoke in the morning due to the sound of another cannon.

We had adapted to it by now. I liked to pretend that it was just an alarm clock, not innocent people dying, just an alarm clock.

"You alright there?" He asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I nodded, looking at him.

The bags under his eyes were still there, though less noticeable today.

"I'm going to get some water." I said, taking the spile and water bottle, exiting the shelter.

———————————————————————

I forced the metal point into a tree. It was a fair distance from the bushes, not wanting to leave evidence too close to where we were staying.

Water began slowly flowing out.

I couldn't wait to drink it out of the bottle, I crouched down and let the water pour into my mouth.