Stare like death

Weeks passed. They passed so quickly it seemed as if they were desperate to arrive to the reaping.

During the several days of anticipation, i received looks of sympathy wherever I went. The majority of the other victors were either locked in their houses or living in the training centre.

I had seen Mags around, she seemed unfazed by the current situation and as content as normal.

I hadn't trained or practiced. The more I thought about doing it, the more I procrastinated and worried. I spent most of my time with my family, pretending to ignore the chance of never seeing them again. They did too, neither of us mentioned it.

Yet through all the pretending that the games were invisible, I had still come to the day of the reaping.

My sister and mother helped get me ready in silence. We each knew we had to keep it together at least before the reaping. If I got reaped then it would be acceptable.

We all walked out the door towards the justice building where the reaping took place.

———————————————————————

I hugged my family and walked towards the stage.

I stood amongst the other female victors.

Carlos was across the stage from me, standing tall. Although he's a violent type he hates the capitol with a raging passion and I know wouldn't want to go back into the games. I caught his gaze, he gave me a subtle nod.

After everyone had gathered, the atmosphere went silent.

Louisa walked out onto the stage - It had been the first time I'd seen her in weeks.

A feeling of hatred formed for her partaking in this as part of the capitol, however it quickly died down as I looked at her face.

She didn't look excited or pleased or anything of the sort.

Since cameras were on us, I could see her forcing the smallest smile on her face - that was it.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the third quarter quell." She announced.

Applause went as protocol.

Next, she played the video from the capitol about the history of Panem which I pay no attention to every year.

———————————————————————

After the video she went straight to the point - no chatter - which was very unlike Louisa.

"The female tribute for the 75th hunger games is..."

She dived her hand into the bowl and pulled out a piece of paper.

"Mags Flanagan."

The audience went silent as they absorbed the information.

I could not under any circumstances let Mags go into that arena. I couldn't bare to see her on the screen being tortured.

"I volunteer as tribute." I said.

Louisa whipped her head around and gave me a stare like death.