What's in a Name | Part 2 | Heathlegs

Hello, everyone! After a several-month-long hiatus (sorry for that), I'm back with the second article of the "What's in a Name" mini-series — and this time, with Heathlegs

Now, as you can see, unlike with the Minlout chart, in which neither of the characters had much of a selection concerning the meanings of their names, the members of Team Heathlegs actually have a lot of definitions to their names. Fishlegs had so many, in fact, that I had to pick and choose which definitions to have in this chart! And, as you can see, it was a bit of a tight fit; I actually had to resize this a few times in order to fit all of that in his section! It was messy. (I had forgotten how many uses "fish" has in the English language. lol XD)

Fishlegs

Now, of course, Fishlegs, having the disadvantage of not having a name with some historical influence, makes it difficult to pinpoint any exact meaning that be "deep" or anything — but that doesn't mean that I won't try! And just because it's a Hooligan name, doesn't mean I can't try to give it some neat meaning, eh? ;-)

Now, if we ignore the most obvious meaning of Fishlegs' name — that is, literally, "a fish with legs" — the possibilities are endless.

Here are most of the definitions of "fish":

• Edible vertebrates that live in the water.
• The zodiacal sign and constellation Pisces.
• A person who is strange in a specific way.
• To search, by groping or feeling for something concealed.
• A flat piece of metal, wood, or another material used to give additional strength to a beam or joint as a temporary repair, such as a ship's mast or spar.

Let me tell you, I never expected that Fish was attributed to the constellation Pisces (even though Pisces is Latin for "fish"). Though, if I'm honest, I'm not very knowledgeable with the constellations.

To be honest, with Fishlegs being Fishlegs, and with his family clan having a strength in oral and written knowledge, this fits him. In fact, this fits him A LOT!

Not only could this be when Fishlegs was born, as Pisces comes around on February 19th to March 20th (which would make Hiccup a Pisces, I guess), but Fishlegs could've very well been named after this constellation by his parents either because of this and/or because of his parents' love for knowledge and astronomy, knowing the symbolic nature of Pisces. (Or it could just be that they just REALLY love fish.)

Honestly, this is probably the best and most plausible headcanon for Fishlegs' name I could ever make — aside from the possibility that Fishlegs is just... Fishlegs, and has no relative meaning at all. But I refuse to entertain that possibility.

The next one (that's not in the chart, but I decided to note it, anyway) is when one is fishing... for fish. With a hook, net, etc. Which, according to my headcanon, fits Fishlegs' family, as one of their main occupations is the fishing industry and as traders. Which would explain Fishlegs' appearance: he looks like he comes from a wealthy family. (I'll explain this more in a later article.)