What's in a Name | Part 1 | Minlout

Special thanks to imaginativemind29 (from Tumblr) for finding the origins and meaning of Minden's name

Special thanks to imaginativemind29 (from Tumblr) for finding the origins and meaning of Minden's name. Greatly appreciate it. ^_^

<><><><><><><><><><>

So I decided to make a little edit/photo that went into the definitions of Snotlout and Minden's names. And I have to say that I wasn't disappointed. ^_^

So I discovered that part of Snotlout's name was actually historically accurate (whether DreamWorks knew of it or not). Snot- comes from the Old Norse word, Snotr, which means "clever, wise, or prudent," which I thought was so ironic, considering Snotlout's entire character arch. But it's also great foreshadowing because it hints at what Snotlout's meant to become and will be... in time (which we get to see in isolated episodes but we definitely start seeing by Season 4, when Snotlout decides to be his own man).

The meaning of Minden's name is just... it's so beautiful... I can't even. XD :')

I mean... look at it! I don't believe it's a coincidence that she was named that. It's as if she was named that to signify that Minlout was always meant to be. I mean, "Mine-Yours"? Every time Snotlout or Minden says her name, it's almost like a declaration of love and devotion. As if they're saying, "You are mine; I am yours. To halves to one heart." It's just so precious, I can't even... GAH! XD :')

But there's also another deeper message behind saying "Minden" (Mine-Yours):

The names come from a statement made by a Saxon duke after he converted to Christianity and made peace with King Karl the Great (aka Charlemagne) in the 8th century. After forming and signing the peace treaty at his castle at the river Weser, he said:

"Diese Burg soll nun min und din sein." (This castle shall now be mine and yours.)

So it got the name Min-Din (Mine-Yours) that was later written Minden (the town).

But seriously: "This CASTLE shall now be mine and yours." Does anyone realize just how significant this is?

This reminds me of the scene at the beginning of the "Alvin and the Outcasts" episode in Riders of Berk, when Snotlout makes a Viking version of a 'sandcastle' and calls it "Snotlout Manor". He then says this, afterwards:

Manors were fortified houses (also were sometimes synonymous with keeps) or even a simple keep with a wall during the entire middle ages — and many have existed, survived, and are still maintained throughout human history into the modern era

Manors were fortified houses (also were sometimes synonymous with keeps) or even a simple keep with a wall during the entire middle ages — and many have existed, survived, and are still maintained throughout human history into the modern era. Anyone from aristocrats to nobles of various rank — even among the members of royalty — had them with the fief system. They were little mini-castles in their own right.

And I'm sure you're aware of the old proverb: "A man's home is his castle"?

Well, think about it... "This castle shall now be mine and yours,"... "A man's home is his castle."...

If a man's home is his castle... and if his castle shall be "mine and yours"... Can you guess where I'm going with this? ,':-)

"A man's home is his castle. And his castle shall now be Min-Din." Or 'Minden,' in this case.

Huh? Huh? How COOL is that?!

And we can do this backwards as well! Check this out...

"Minden shall now be his castle. And his castle is his home."

Are you a puddle of feels right now? Because I certainly am! XD

So essentially, if Snotlout were to say this, he'd be saying: "Minden is my castle; and my castle is my home," or "My castle shall now be Minden's," or "My castle is my home, and my home is Minden." This is just really hitting me in the feels right now!

Another way to see this that's of great significance would be if Snotlout created Snotlout Manor (like in preparation for marriage or something) and said: "This castle (or manor) shall now be mine and yours," or "This castle (or manor) shall now be Minden." That would be so powerful and amazing and the way he would look at her when he said it and the way she'd start tearing up... I just... I'm seriously gushing and fanboying over this.

Honestly, a minor pairing shouldn't be turning me into a giant puddle of fluffy feels, but it is. And I'm loving every bit of it! ^_^

But can you imagine the scene that I've just shown above where Snotlout says, "This is Snotlout Manor — and all I need now is a queen." and does that with Minden? And the deep meanings and symbolism by using Minden's name, on top of his "castle" Snotlout Manor, would just be so lethally potent that it should be illegal! lol XD

Also, the fanon definitions/meanings of Minden's name I gleaning just from the town and fortress by itself by what they represent. Which, in my opinion, fits Minden perfectly.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Conclusion

So in conclusion, here's the summary of this article for you to glean from:

• Snotlout DOES, in fact, have a historical element to his name, surprisingly enough.
• Snot- is from the Old Norse, meaning "wise, prudent, or clever." (Clearly his mother's doing, I'm sure of it.)
• It fits him more when he learns to stop fighting it and accept his character arc.
• Minden is a historical name of German origin.
• Minden comes from the phrase "min-din", meaning "mine-yours", and originated from the Charlemagne Period.
• It's a name given to the castle of the same name where the peace treaty was signed between Charlemagne and the Saxons in the 700s AD.
• The message behind it is just so beautiful, I could cry. :')
• If this doesn't get you to ship Minlout, nothing will.
• Minlout was obviously meant to be. This is Fate, has to be!

Anyway, this is my article — and Part 1 of the mini-series — concerning Minlout's name meanings. I really hope that this has not only been an educating experience, but also gives you inspiration and a new-found love for the Minlout pairing. I, for one, am in love all over again, and am now an even bigger fan of the pairing. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they were meant to be! No way they could NOT be S.O.s with THOSE names!

Their name meanings just bring a whole new entire layer of depth into their relationship dynamic, their pairing, and their character archs. I'm just so hyped right now! You can be certain that bits and pieces of this will most definitely end up becoming one-shots, one way or the other! ^_^

I know this was a little long, but this really was worth it. I hope, at least, you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing this. I'm not even sure that I'll be able to sleep now! lol XD

Thank you for taking some time out of your busy schedules to come and read this. Please spread this around and make it viral. This pairing deserves it! And please keep an eye out for Part 2 of my "What's In A Name" mini-series — next pairing shall be Heathlegs. So be on the lookout, fellow shippers!

Keep Calm and Ship Minlout!

— Minlout3Heathlegs3RuffthrokFan

<><><><><><><><><><>

Word Count: 1,250 words

<><><><><><><><><><>

Date Published: 07/09/20