Chapter 1

Clara Jauregui was one of the best teachers at Westwood High School in Miami, Florida. All of her students adored her, some would even come back after establishing a career just to thank her. She had that effect on them. She was loving, kind, and always pushed them, but in a way that would only help them and they loved her for that.

She was on her way to school to start for the day. It was extremely early for her on a Monday morning but she didn't care, she needed things done and had to have them done because was just the type of person she was.

She was absently minding her own business when she came across a young girl laying on a park bench a few feet away from the school. Her motherly instincts kicked in and decided to go check on the young girl.

The young girl seemed to be around the same age as her own daughter, younger even. She was shivering on the bench with nothing but a jacket to keep her warm and a small backpack as a pillow, you could practically hear her teeth chattering. Clara felt her heart wrench in her chest at the sight and wanted nothing more than to help the young brunette. She couldn't imagine if that were her children, who were as of now, still sleeping in their beds.

She slowly approached the young brunette girl and lightly tapped her shoulder. The girl flinched and stood up alarmed almost immediately. Her eyes were wide, alarmed and she looked absolutely frightened. "Hey, it's okay. I won't hurt you." Clara spoke in a gentle tone. She took off her coat and lifted her hand out to give it to the young teenager.

The girl looked at Clara then the coat before taking it. Clara gave her a small smile before asking, "What are you doing here sweetie?" The girl looked taken aback by the question but answered nonetheless. "I'm- um just waiting for school to s-start." The teenager whispered. By her talking Clara knew she was shy. She gave the girl a pointed look. "School doesn't start for another 3 hours honey." Clara explained. The girl looked like a deer caught in headlights. "I-I- I had a fight with my parents." She whispered again, not making any possible contact with Clara whatsoever.

Clara studied the girl's face through the dim lighting of the streetlights due to it being only 4 am. She could see the faint outline of a purple bruise under the girl's eye.

The young girl must've felt Clara staring and shifted uncomfortably. "What's your name sweetheart?" Clara asked as softly as she could. "Camila," the young girl said. "That's a lovely name, Camila." Clara saw a small smile appear on Camila's face and then heard the grumbling of her stomach. She frowned slightly.

Clara held out her hand. "Come on, let's get you inside." Camila looked unsure but grabbed Clara's hand.

Camila was confused as to why Clara was being nice to her. No one was ever nice to her except maybe 1 or 2 people.
She followed Clara to her car first. "Can you help me with this?" Clara asked Camila as she got a box out of her car. Camila nodded and grabbed the small box while Clara held the bigger one. "Okay let's go."

Camila followed Clara into the school building. They walked down the dimly lit halls until they reached Clara's classroom. Clara was fumbling around looking for her keys to the classroom. Once she found them she opened the door and they walked in. "You can sit that anywhere." She gestured to the tables in the classroom. Camila complied and sat the box down on the table in the far back.

Camila looked up to see Clara grabbing something out of her desk. "Here." She said and handed Camila a granola bar, bag of lays potato chips and a bottle of water. Camila gladly took the food items, she was starving. "It's all I have." Clara frowned. Camila whispered a small thank you and Clara smiled. She watched Camila devour the snack in a couple of minutes. It kind of broke her heart seeing the young girl so hungry. It was like she hadn't had a meal in days.

"I have a couch if you want to lay down." Clara pointed to the couch that was at the back of her class. It was there for when her students would come after school and would have a study session. Camila smiled and shuffled over to it. She laid down and fell asleep almost immediately.

Clara wondered what fight caused Camila to be laying on that bench outside of school at this hour in the day. It saddened her to the bone to think that someone would allow their child to be out and freezing like Camila was.

As Camila slept peacefully, Clara got all her papers graded and things filed. She quickly wrote out her lesson plan for the week and by the time she was done school would be opening in 20 minutes.

"Hey Camila. Sweetheart, it's time to get up. School is starting in a few minutes." Camila opened her doe brown eyes and slowly got up. She thanked Clara again before leaving the classroom and heading to the cafeteria.

Clara sighed. She knew there was so much to this young girl and she was definitely going to be there for her, even if she wasn't one of her students.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

okay so tell me what yall think of this so far?