Chapter 3: Chestnut House, London

Frances was groggy as she sat up from her bed. Anne was shaking her and talking about something. She looked at the clock, it was half-past eight.

'Anne, why are you waking me up so early?' moaned Frances.

'Early! you should be up and about an hour ago,' replied Anne.

'Anne, we came back by 2 a.m. 2 a.m!' groaned Frances.

'Fine, go back to sleep,' said Anne curtly and left the room, slamming the door.

Frances laid back, but she couldn't sleep. Cursing Anne loudly she got up and got ready.

'Why did they have to make sisters so annoying?' she thought bitterly. When she opened her door, Anne was waiting for her.

'I knew you were awake, tell me everything that happened yesterday,' asked Anne excitedly.

Frances recounted everything including Marcus and his bread spitting. Though Frances finds Anne annoying she is one of her closest confidants.

When they entered the dining room, Aunt Mary was busy with all the gossip she collected yesterday.

Frances and Anne resumed their discussion in whispers. 'Did he really split all three sandwiches?' asked Anne. 'How many times should I repeat it Anne. Yes! He did. Right after popping it in his mouth.'

'What do you think of Mr.Bennet, Frances?' asked Aunt Mary.

'Mr.Bennet, who?' asked Frances.

'You danced with him yesterday,' said Aunt Mary. Looking at the incomprehension in Frances, 'The one you danced Scottish reel with, you should know the town's members by now,' scolded Aunt Mary.

'Ho! you mean Antony,' said Frances without thinking.

Everyone stopped eating and stared at Frances. Her mother was the first to recover,

'Did he already ask you to call by his given name?' She looked positively delighted.

Before Frances could answer, Aunt Mary said, 'I am so happy Sophia, he is kind and thoughtful, though he doesn't have much standing, he has a noble heart. He will be a perfect match. You should discuss with Mr.Hill about increasing her dowry.'

'But, Aunt Mary-' Frances started to speak but was cut short by her mother.

'You are right, Mary. I shall write immediately to Mr.Hill and request his presence. Mr.Bennet may request an audience with Mr.Hill for permission.'

'Mama-' Frances started again, but once again was cut short by her aunt.

'I knew he must like our Frances, he has danced with her four times so far, it's so exciting if Mr.Bennet wants to marry in London you can use Chestnut House.'

'You should have the wedding dress in forest green or jade, it will bring out your eyes,' chimed one of her cousins.

'Yes! That would be lovely,' agreed her mother.

'Mama!!' Frances shouted.

Everyone turned to look at her. She didn't even know the poor guy's name until Lord Marcus called him and her mother was planning a wedding with him.

'No! He did not ask me to call him by his given name. I heard Lord Vandam, call him so,' said Frances.

'You met Lord Vandam,' asked her Aunt with a frown.

'Just after we finished dancing, Mr.Bennet introduced me to him. But I left immediately,' said Frances defensively.

That's when lady Amelia Smith entered the dining room. Mercifully the conversation turned towards her wedding. Amelia was Aunt Mary's eighth child; she is to marry Mr. Hugo Allen in a fortnight at the Smith family's country house in Nottingham. The whole family would gather there, and it was a week-long celebration. Frances liked family gatherings, it was boisterous and fun. Frances wished Amelia's wedding would come sooner.

**** Loved it? don't forget to vote. I would like to hear your feedback ****