Chapter 13: Lady Martha Paulen

Frances was in bliss the next day. She got up early and was waking Anne. Frances told Anne what really happened. Somehow the retelling made it hilarious and both sisters were giggly throughout the breakfast.

Mrs. Sophia Hill looked at them suspiciously with pursed lips. They had callers or 'nosy mama's' as Frances would put it, all came to enquire whether Frances had really attended lunch at Windsor Castle. But thankfully the whole fire incident had not got out.

At 11, a carriage arrived with Marcus' family crest. Frances felt elated. Marcus usually calls on her by noon; this was unusual, thought Frances. But it was not Marcus, a footman arrived with a letter.

It was from Lady Martha Paulen inviting her for a tea that day and the carriage waiting will take her to Brent Castle where Lady Martha Paulen will see her in 30 minutes.

It was more of a summon than an invitation. Mrs. Sophia was not happy in sending Frances alone, but she couldn't ignore the Duchess' request. Frances found herself in the carriage on her way to Brent Castle. Frances felt excited and a little nervous, she was going to Marcus' home for the first time.

Brent Castle was huge with a large garden, and three wings. Two of the wings were large while the smaller one was little apart from the rest.

A valet was waiting for her and escorted her directly to a large sitting room. Frances was informed Lady Paulen will arrive shortly. Maid arrived carrying a tray of refreshment, she set it before Frances and left in silence.

Frances had some biscuits from the tray and didn't know what to do. A freshly ironed newspaper was on a writing desk, Frances picked it up and started reading. Soon she was so immersed she didn't hear Lady Paulen walk in.

Frances looked up when she heard a loud cough. It took her several seconds to realise where she was and the lady standing must be Marcus' Mother. Frances got up and curtsied to her.

Marcus had crossed paths with many women and Lady Martha kept tabs on every single one. He was the future Duke to Stevenage, as his mother she was always on the lookout.

Lady Martha knew that Marcus was taken in by an untitled and unknown girl. Martha was sure her son was once again after some pretty lady. But when she got to know that Marcus had taken her to lunch with Prince Philip and Princess Anne, she knew she had lapsed. Martha immediately set out to find more about this unknown girl.

The reports were disturbing. Marcus had been courting this lady for two weeks. Marcus was not up to his usual misdeeds but was formally courting. He had travelled to Nottingham with that no-good Bennet so he could spend time with Frances during her cousin's wedding, to which Marcus managed to get an invitation by bullying the groom. He had danced thrice with her at the wedding.

The reports about Frances were even more disturbing, Frances has been in London no more than two months, she has already rejected five proposals from an earl, two viscounts and a wealthy landlord. She seemed equally taken in by Marcus.

So Martha decided she had to put Frances in her place. Frances should have known what she was getting into before she seduced Marcus. So she summoned Frances to Brent Castle and made her wait for a better part of an hour alone.

Martha expected to find a squirming Frances. However, when she entered, she found Frances hidden behind a newspaper. And Frances was ignoring her, at her own house. Only when Martha cleared her throat loudly did Frances look up. Also, only after a defiant pause she got up and curtsied.

Marcus knew his mother, he was sure his mother would retaliate when she heard about Frances. He planned to give Chestnut House a wide space for a few days. He also had bribed one of his mother's handmaids to tell him if she plans a meeting with Frances.

So when the maid entered, he asked, 'What is it?'

The Maid curtsied and said frantically, 'Your Lordship, Lady is meeting with the miss.'

This was expected, so Marcus asked casually, 'When?'

'Her Ladyship is meeting with her now in the blue sitting room,' she said.

Marcus stood up in surprise, upsetting an ink bottle. This was quicker than he expected, he had underestimated his mother. Without a backward glance he set to the blue sitting room in long strides.

When he entered the blue sitting room, Frances was talking animatedly about an orphanage in Liverpool and the difficulties Lord Kenworthy faces in raising funds. Marcus rolled his eyes, Frances can't let a day pass without mentioning George.

Both the ladies saw Marcus at the same time and said 'Marcus' in unison. While Frances' tone was of welcome, Martha's was curt. Marcus took a chair opposite to both ladies.

Frances said, 'Lady Martha has kindly invited me to the annual charity auction held in honour of your dad's, I mean Lord Paulen's birthday,' brightly with a smile.

'The proceeds would go to an orphanage, you should contribute too dear,' said Lady Martha.

Marcus could tell his mother hated Frances, Martha only called the people she hated as dear, which included his father.

Frances glowed with pleasure at being addressed as dear, she said, 'Of course Lady Martha, I know just the thing.'

At this Lady Martha looked taken aback, reports about Frances said she was from a modest family, surely she can't contribute.

'How many children are there in the orphanage?' Frances enquired.

Marcus could tell his mother didn't know, the idea of charity auction was fashionable, it increased her esteem. She just left the steward to do the rest, she didn't care about the orphans.

Lady Martha replied, 'About 40 children.' At this Frances exclaimed, '40 children! Those poor things! You are the kindest person I have ever known.'

It was so like Frances, Marcus came fearing how her mother was going to treat Frances. He once again didn't get to act the hero. Marcus couldn't keep a straight face and grinned. Frances, misinterpreting Marcus' smile, beamed back.

Martha was fuming, this Frances was very good. When Martha suggested Frances contribute to the auction as an insult, Frances had accepted it as a challenge.

Martha didn't know which orphanage they were contributing to, it was stewards' work not hers. But Frances has used it and by the look on both Frances and Marcus, she knew she was losing the battle and badly at that.

Thinking it was prudent to remove Frances from his mother's vicinity, Marcus said, 'Why don't you look around the garden Frances, I will join you shortly.' Frances got up and left.

Marcus made sure she was well out of earshot and asked, 'What are you doing mother?'

'The same question I might ask you,' retorted Lady Martha.

Marcus chuckled and said 'fair enough.'

'What do you think of her?' he asked just to rub the salt.

Lady Martha exploded, 'She is an arrogant tart and I don't like her one bit.'

Marcus didn't like her mom talking about Frances in such a way.

'I know why you chose her, she says openly she doesn't mind if you have mistresses, when i mentioned you have three mistresses.'

'You told her what?' snapped Marcus, he was livid. He got up and left. 

**Like it so far? Your vote makes my day**