An Unlikely Confession

Rantaro was nervous.

The butterflies swirling in his stomach made him feel queasy. He was standing in the football field behind the bleachers. Earlier today he got a letter in his locker that instructed him to go there at the exact time of 4:30. Of course, he was a little hesitant. It had no name written on it. No sign of ownership. He was curious. He wanted to know who the writer was and what they wanted from him. I don't have anything after school.. maybe i'll check it out.

And now there he was. The late September breeze blew through his hair. It was a little chilly outside. He rubbed his palms together to create much needed heat. Where are they? It was already 4:23 and Rantaro's anticipation grew and grew. Along with his nervousness. 

A few minutes had past. Rantaro was growing bored. He sighed, toying with his rings. Something he tended to do often. He looked at his passing classmates. Kaede and Shuichi. They were going home, it was late afternoon now after all. They walked hand in hand acting all lovey dovey. seeing them, Rantaro thought what it would be like if he were in a relationship like that. How he would constantly show affection to his significant other. How he would bring them on dates or visit his family. 

He had multiple people who admired him. They would call him 'handsome' and 'hot' or something like that. Rantaro didn't mind this though. He brushed them away kindly. He let out a low chuckle brushing fingers through his hair.

Tap tap

He felt the tapping on his shoulder. Rantaro turned around. His eyes widened; He was a bit surprised to see Miu Iruma standing there. Iruma was in his class. She would help him in his math homework. And she always wanted to show him her inventions. He loved her inventions. They were creative and well made. He looked back at the strawberry blonde. A suspiciously pink  blush dusted her cheeks. She looks nervous. "Ah.. hi Miu! Are you the one who called me here?" He asked. She looked back at him, twirling a lock of her hair. "Yep." She replied. Her voice wasn't her usual loud and confident. It was soft and quiet. A pregnant pause carpeted them. 

"Are you.... okay?" He asked. The blonde wasn't usually as quiet as this. She looked so nervous he felt bad. She swallowed. "I am... I just.. have to get something out" She said. He stared back at her in anticipation.

"Okay well,... uhm. I like you. a lot... y'know? ahaha" She said. She forced laughter in case he'd reject her feelings. Something she expected. She had never confessed to anyone before. She had never been in an actual relationship before. Yeah, she joked about it and other inappropriate things. All other relationships he had were short and only fulfilled bodily needs. She was reduced to her body and looks. 

Rantaro's eyes widened in surprise.

A confession?

He never though about Miu like that. She was extremely pretty, sure. He knew the version of Miu that was actually her, not the facade she put up. He put a hand to his cheek. It was flaming. They weren't that close.He put a hand to his cheek. The sudden temperature change startled him. His cheeks were flaming. "Miu.." He drawled. She squeezed her eyes shut. He's gonna do it. He's gonna reject me.

A small part of Miu wished he'd accept. She liked him for a long time. He was the only one that treated her with kindness. That wasn't out of pity. She showed him her real self. Her broken self. Her self that craved love and affection. And the only person she wanted it from was from him.

"It's fine Rantaro. I just needed to tell you before you find someone else y'know? Not that you have to say yes or anything. Y'know what maybe ill just leave-" 

"Miu." He sighed. A part of him was really thrilled to hear this. They were both attention and affection craved. She needed him. He needed her. She would help him and protect him from bullies. She would brush it off saying it wasn't a big deal. He realized how much time they actually spent together. He'd watch her work on her next invention. She would explain each part to him. And occasionally let him help her. They would go on shopping trips together. Ironically trying on silly couples outfits. He wanted more. He wanted to know her more. He smiled. He wanted this. He wanted to be with her.

"I accept"