Chapter III

Note: These are the different speech formats

"Normal"

'Thoughts'

"YELLING"

"Spells"

~Language of the dead~

§Parseltongue§

((Goblin))

[French]

{Latin} 

Mending the Broken

By EldrenSovrano

Chapter III- Gathering Forces

8:00 Am on June 23, 1991, at Malfoy Manor, Wiltshire, England

The day began with a slight chill, but steadily bled into a beautiful summer morning. The flowers were dusted with lights droplets of water, causing the gardens and lawn to glimmer like precious gemstones. The white, alabaster walls of the manor shone with a purity that would put even angels to shame. This was the stereotypical morning for the Malfoy Household, but that was about to change.

Descended from a pair of French wizards, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Malfoy was the fifth most powerful family that was still active in the wizarding world. They held an approximate of 100 million Galleons to their name, allowing them to afford quite a few luxuries. With such an abundance of wealth, one would not expect there to be problems within the family. But, like many misconceptions of those with wealth and power, things were not as they seem.

The problems began with the previous Head of the Malfoy Family, Abraxas Dorion Malfoy. In his youth, he began to admire and follow a young Tom Marvolo Riddle. The two had become incredibly close, and when Riddle gained his Family's seats and power, Abraxas allied the Malfoy Family with him. As they struggled on the Political path, Riddle chose to take a holiday. It was when he returned that the Knights of Walpurgis, their political party, realized their mistakes.

Riddle was crazed and had become unhinged, but the Knights refused to back down and abandon their longtime friend. As the years past, and the war began, many remained faithfully by his side. Now, with the war over, some are wondering what had become of him. Of his original Ten Knights, all but Abraxas, Alphard and Orion Black, Crawford Rookwood, and Adrian Rosier have survived.

With passing of Abraxas, all responsibility fell to Lord Lucius Abraxas Malfoy. He was diligent in his duties and had even lied to the Courts to ensure he was ready for when his Master returned. Unlike the Knights, all members of the Inner Circle and his Elite were marked with the Dark Mark. When the Dark Lord dies, the Mark would vanish entirely from their arms. But it was still there, just severely faded, allowing his followers to know he was still around.

The good thing about the Dark Mark is that only a select few can gain it. The biggest factor being gender, with the rare and slightly deranged exception being Bellatrix Lestrange. The decision wasn't made on a sexist point of view, a belief that only men held power. No, for all his flaws and faults, the Dark Lord saw women as the key to the future and showed those under his care the utmost respect.

None more so than Lady Narcissa Elizabeth Malfoy née Black. Not only was she the wife of one of his most trusted, but she was the highest-grade healer they had. She believed all forms of healing should be learned, even the muggle forms, as they had more insight to the finer workings of the body than Wizards did. Despite his distaste in muggles, he knew the knowledge could go a long way if a situation arose where Magic was not an option.