Paladin

Moving now as if nothing had happened to interrupt the knighting ceremony, Kapella then turned to Frederik to wave him forward with an imperious gesture.

"Frederik von Tappen, ordained King of Germanse. Draw your sword," the elderly priest directed in a formal tone and, with a nod of assent as he came to a halt a pace from Kapella, Frederik did so.

Now that the king stood before everybody, drawn into the ceremony as his part to play grew nearer, everyone could see that Frederik was dressed much like the knights around him were. The big man wore his full armor, burnished and polished, with the red surcoat and black eagle of Germanse over top. He also wore a long cape of red with a second eagle stitched into it over his shoulders, the fine fabric swaying with each movement.

As part of his garb this day, Frederik wore the massive long sword of state at his waist, a beautiful and finely wrought weapon of steel, gold and silver, jewels set into the pommel and guard. Jewels, which glinted with reflected light from the torches that provided illumination within the tent's dark walls. Taking the great sword from its scabbard in a smooth, practiced motion, he laid it across his gauntleted hands and presented it to Kapella.

Instead of taking the sword into his own hands, the old priest reached once more for the sprinkler.

"In the name of the One God, His Son Joachin Hristus and the Holy Spirit, I sanctify this blade with water blessed in remembrance of our Lord Joachin Hristus' sacrifice." After the third spray of holy water over the gleaming blade, Kapella returned the sprinkler to its bowl and stepped back, bowing his head as he intoned.

"It is done."

"Amen," rumbled the assembled Jebusin in reply.

Frederik, with a nod towards Kapella in silent royal thanks for bestowing the One God's blessings on what was about to happen, turned to face Lash, the sword still lying across his hands.

"We stand before this Assembly," Frederik began, using the royal plural, his voice strong and proud. "To bring into the ranks of the anointed defenders of the Crown and of the Faith one who has shown himself valiant, brave and courageous in the face of adversity. One who has excelled in his learning the ways of the Page, Squire and Knight. One who has shown the heart and soul of a knight, risking his own life to save a brother."

Frederik then looked down at Lash, his face solemn.

"Lash de Marniet, do you swear an oath of fealty to the Crown of Germanse? Do you swear to obey our lawful commands? To uphold the laws of both the Church and of Germanse?"

The king paused, as if gathering himself for the next part of the knight's demand for oath. Only to grunt as Reality shifted once again. This time, with the fire of his Life Oath still burning brightly in his bosom, Lash was ready.

"By your blood do you seal yourself to your calling, Warrior of the Shae," Frederik's mouth worked to pronounce the elven words, sounding alien coming from his lips.

Lash looked to his right to find Frederik's sword extended there, just high enough from him to reach up and grab the blade with his bare hand. Which, without hesitation, he did, giving his hand a hard jerk back as soon as his palm rested against cold steel. The razor-sharp edge of the massive sword of state easily sliced through his flesh and deep into his hand, blood oozing along the short length Lash had pulled his hand.

As the first drops covered the cold steel with their warmth, Lash felt the fire burn even higher within him, racing through his body, touching each nerve, surging through each muscle, until he quivered with the force of it. Urged on by Ithus' memories, he drew his trembling hand away from the blade, which was quickly withdrawn, clenching his hand into a tight fist.