Chapter 8: Across the Middle Sea

Lash glanced back over at the big king with a blank expression on his face. His eyes, however, burned with green fire.

"Perhaps," he conceded tightly. Then he was looking back at the winding road in front of them and the cluster of hills in the distance in particular.

"In the meantime, I would send a company of foot and a couple knights ahead to the crossroads in the hopes of finding some Iberian merchants that have had recent contact with the Manadim. Whether by trading with them, or fighting off Voorish raiders. We may be able to get some information from them. If we can't send spies or scouts into Arafel, we need to discover other sources of information."

Frederik gazed at the young knight, his expression thoughtful. It seemed the lad read his mind sometimes. Not a little disturbing, all things considered.

"Good idea," he finally said after a pregnant pause, making a gesture with a gloved hand. Almost immediately the commander of the escort just behind Frederik, Lash and the two paladin knights spurred his horse forward, quickening his mount's pace just enough to draw even with Lash and Frederik.

"Your Majesty?" he asked through the visor of his helm, saluting with fist over heart.

"Captain, command Sir Roland to take a company of foot soldiers and a half dozen knights to the crossroads ahead and look for Iberian merchants that may be taking their rest there. There should be several guildhalls, a blacksmith and other services there, as well as two or three inns."

"What should I have Sir Roland ask these merchants, sire?" the knight then asked.

"I need him to get any information on the Manadim that these merchants may know. Favorite foods, whether they carry personal weapons, anything." Abruptly the big man leaned forward, his face stern.

"But they need to be discrete. Have Roland select only those knights with knowledge of Iberia and its native tongue as well as those known for their tact and diplomacy. Sir Leo, for one, would be a good member to add to the company. I know for certain that not only does he speak two or three Gaulish dialects, but also Iberian in addition to Anglo and Germansic." Frederik flashed a quick grin at Lash.

"A talented man, your uncle." Then back to the captain of the escort. "And have them leave immediately, captain. I want Roland's report by the time we reach the crossroads in three hours."

"Yes, sire!" The knight saluted once more before wheeling his horse around in a spray of mud to kick the charger into a gallop. He swiftly raced down the company that rode behind the escort, heading directly for where Sir Roland had his place in the train.

As the captain sprang to do Frederik's orders, the king turned back to Lash.

"Now that that's done," he said, "you can explain to me why I'm sending an entire company of foot soldiers into a town my garrison secured months ago. Surely Sir Roland and Sir Leo would be sufficient to gather what information we need."

Lash returned Frederik's look with a frown.

"Just because we cannot send spies into Arafel because of the great difference in appearance between men of Evindel and that continent, doesn't mean they can't send some here," he bluntly pointed out. "Especially when a variety of appearance is more common here. Take myself for instance. There was not a few times during my training that I was accused by one party or another of being a spy because I'm swarthy of skin like the Voors"

He looked back at the crossroads, still hidden behind the hills ahead.

"Both Tanais and any town close by will be crawling with Manadim spies, watching for you and your Quest army to appear. Because it would be a fool's errand to think your preparations to invade Ebrahin have gone beneath their notice."