Chapter 15: Into the Lion's Den

With the swirl of heavy robes, the grizzled knight dropped into the spot beside Lash, grunting as his rear end hit the box floor.

"That was a neat bit of rescuing back there," he noted softly, too low for anybody other than Lash to hear. "It would seem you more than live up to your reputation, Sir Lash."

"You know of me?" Lash asked, not looking at the knight as he spoke.

"Who in Frederik's war camp hasn't, lad? The speed, the strength, and the ability to overcome incredible odds? Odds like the sinking of Hephestus' breakaway fleet by the Manadim." The veteran looked at the collar of Lash's armor, just visible at the neckline of his Manadim uniform. "It would seem only you and your squire have managed to survive the destruction relatively intact. And, not only that, but you have the faculties to launch a rescue operation in the face of incredible odds." The old Michealine could only shake his head in wonder.

"It's like you're some kind of figure out of the old tales, in the early years of the Evindelian kingdoms, when men were giants walking the land, looking for enemies to test their strength against." The cool blue eyes turned to watch as the wagon rumbled past the main gates to the base without a challenge, the hard-eyed guards standing watch not even looking up as the wagon rolled by.

Once past the gates, the wagon joined several others rumbling towards the town at the other end of the bay, the road beneath the iron-rimmed wheels tightly packed cobblestone, as well constructed as any romisian road. And that road, following the gentle coast of the bay, took them directly into the heart of the teeming Manadim city, its buildings now easily visible above the high walls that protected it.

Seeing the city loom before them, the old knight's face hardened.

"And now we've become fools, looking for something greater than ourselves to cling to, now that the era of heroes has passed us by and left us smaller and less than what we could have been."

"I detect not a small measure of bitterness in that voice." Lash glanced over at the old knight, and quickly saw the man's face was a thoughtful mask. "Can it be that a Michealine doesn't find this Quest to his liking? Other than myself, of course."

The older knight laughed softly and completely without humor.

"To admit as much would be to put my own neck in a noose, young knight," he replied softly with a shake of his head as their wagon continued on without a pause, making directly for the city's gates. "For I am both a knight of the Order of St. Michael and a Jebusin priest. This war against the heathen Manadim has been ordained by the One God." A quick twisting of the man's features cast instant doubt on his words as he looked back over at Lash. "Or, rather, ordained by His ministers and leaders upon the earth." A wry smile touched his lips. "And who am I to speak against them?"

"Who, indeed," Lash returned, staring at the scenery that was passing them by. Taking advantage of the rare opportunity to observe their enemy at their unguarded best, Lash had hunkered down in the wagon and let his eyes work even as his ears listened to the veteran knight.

"It would seem you have me at a disadvantage, good sir knight. You know my name, but I don't know yours."

"Sir Cedric of Lutenburg," the veteran quickly replied with a half smile, reaching out to take Lash's hand in a quick greeting. "Going on twenty years as a paladin knight in the service of Mother Church." He dropped Lash's hand after giving it a quick squeeze and returned to his seeming disinterested pose.

"A long time to serve as a knight, Sir Cedric, only to find yourself onboard a ship, bound for Arafel."

"We are called, Lash, to serve Mother Church our whole lives," Cedric replied somewhat stiffly. Then the reserve melted and he grimaced once more. "Though, if the truth were known, I know nothing else. I don't see myself as a father confessor for some king or nobleman now, not after 20 years of fighting in the field against the enemies of Ristusia." His face tightened. "Yet, curse me for saying it, I see no honor in this, what was to be my last campaign!"