And One Shall Fall

The dark cloaked figure stared at the talisman, expecting the great globe of polished crystal to abruptly leap to fiery life at any moment. For its army of assassins had failed in their bid to recapture the Elfborn at the Invigilators' landing while killing Eje. And the Lords of the Elements quickly punished failure.

But hours had already passed by, days even. And no Mist man had come with its black blade, intent on taking its life. No message came in the form of fire and heat from the talisman, to command it to take its own life. Nothing.

With a soft hiss of frustration, the cloaked figure stood abruptly and began to stride quickly to the door. Astor may yet try to contact it, but, in the meantime, it had a cover it had to maintain. And, perhaps, even attempt a second try at recapturing the Elfborn. They were all within reach now. As was Eje. It shouldn't be hard to ...

The lock in the door abruptly clicked, opening from the outside. Instantly the figure halted, reaching for the poison-tipped dagger it always wore sheathed at its waist. Either it would take the life of whatever creature was coming through that door, or its own, if it could see that it would be overcome and compromised.

However, as the door swung open, the dark figure found itself frozen in place by what it saw stepping through the opening created by the door's movement, outlined by the torches both warming and illuminating the hallway beyond.

"You!" it husked softly. "What ... why are you here?"

"In case you failed," the slender creature standing in the doorway, cloaked by shadow, answered in a soft, low voice. "Which you have."

"So you've come to slay me, then? You're Astor's messenger?"

"No," the creature answered flatly. "Astor will deal with you presently. No, I am here to do the job you were commanded to do and have failed to carry out. A clumsy attempt, I might add. An army of assassins attacking an armed company of the Bishops' Guard? There's no subtlety in that."

"You will quickly learn the Lords of the Elements don't deal in subtleties, minion," the cloaked figure snapped, quickly regaining its composure. Since this creature wasn't here to kill it, it might as well resume its normal character and behavior.

"They are conquerors and warriors. They don't sneak about and lay in wait for their enemies. They attack them openly. Of all the people, I would expect you to understand that the most!"

"I understand it," the creature in the doorway replied tightly. "For I yielded to Astor's greater power because of that very reason! Yet, it is also the reason you have failed. And will continue to fail. With your army defeated by the Raphaelites and the survivors of the company of Guardsmen that accompanied Tabacci to the landing, the rest of the city now has been alerted to the presence of an enemy force in its midst. Despite the usual relaxed guard during the mid winter fest, they will be on the lookout for similar attempts against prominent church leaders as well as their guests. You will fail to destroy Sarconi and de Castillo because of that. Only stealth will accomplish your purpose now."

"And hence your presence here," the cloaked figure commented dryly. Only to see the creature in the doorway nod.

"You seem to have grasped it well, friend," it answered coldly. "So all this gold and wealth all about you hasn't yet dulled your senses and brain."

"Very well. I accept that you've now taken up the task of seeing the Pade and Sister Eje dead, and the Elfborn recaptured for his Lordship. What task have I now been given? Or am I to wait for the Mist man that will be my executioner here, by the talisman?"

The creature in the doorway shrugged.

"As I said, your fate is unknown to me. I have simply been summoned to take over the task of killing Sarconi and de Castillo. However, you can provide me with some information."