Setting Out

It was a glimpse into the power dynamics of the shakers and the movers at the highest levels in Evindel and Garrett wasn't sure he was happy to know such things. Still, he was pondering them anew as they loaded their own equipment and gear up into Lash's wagons five days later in preparation for the march to Tanais, Frederik's port on the Meridian.

"You awake yet, Garrett?" Lash asked with a raised brow as he stepped past his pondering squire to throw a bundle into the back of the small wagon.

As usual the lean Hybernian knight was wearing the black uniform-like garments of the Michealines, the only thing he had accepted from the holy militant order without reservations. It seemed to suit him, his swarthy complexion working well with the plain cut and dark cloth of the tunic, breeches and boots. Supposedly the plain black clothing was to mark the paladins as consecrated priests, though few actually wore them. In Garrett's experience, only Lash had taken to the black clothing for everyday wear.

Garrett grimaced as he took a quick look up at the heavy, overcast sky, the early morning sun barely penetrating to cast a dim, watery light across the camp. It had been raining almost non-stop this last week, the snows of the previous months virtually washed away to be replaced by a sea of mud. The rain was cold and driving, often half frozen as it lashed at the winter-ridden land that stretched eastward from the steely waters of the Straits.

And now it pounded the Vegreville camp just as they were breaking down in preparation for the overland journey to Tanais. His simple glance upwards served to not only expose his face to the driving rain and the cold wind that accompanied it out of the northwest, bringing the scent of the ocean to their nostrils. But to tip the accumulated rain off the top of his hood down his face and along his neck. Garrett's grimace grew tighter as the cold water trickled down his neck and onto his back. Shivering involuntarily as the cold bit into his bones, the young Ekossan sighed.

"All this rain nearly reminds me of home," he found himself muttering.

For a brief moment Garrett found himself wondering how his family was doing, and whether the Dark Companions had taken out their frustrations on them. Of course, there was no way to know, either way. Pushing the thoughts into the back of his mind with another sigh, he reached down and laced his fingers into the cords sealing the bundle closed at his feet. Smoothly he picked it up and, in the same motion, slung it into the back of the wagon where it dropped in beside the one Lash had just loaded.

Looking over at his dark skinned companion, he nodded.

"Awake enough to know we finally got all your stuff in these two wagons of yours," he said with a half smile. "And to want to get out of this cold winter rain!"

"Too late for that, Garrett." Lash grinned, crossing his arms over his chest, his head once again bare to the elements. The young de Marniet acted as if the elements didn't touch him, showing no distress from the cold and wet. Idly Garrett wondered if he wouldn't sweat beneath the desert sun either.

"The tents are already down and packed." He turned to gaze at the wagons, his own cloak dark with rain. "Maker burn me, but I've accumulated a lot of useless things in my brief tenure as a Michealine paladin."

"This might be your chance to offload most of it." Garrett pointed out, his merchant's mind abruptly spinning up to full speed. "We'll be passing through a large number of smaller settlements and towns on our way to Tanais. I could, say, barter a good number of your things off for a good coin or two, well out of the way of prying eyes, whether they be Michealine or Germansic."

Lash quickly nodded in agreement.

"Good idea," he said, looking back over at Garrett. "As soon as you see the opportunity, do it. Might as well make as many friends as we can on our way south. Can't hurt and, well, you never know. It might even put the Michealines into a somewhat brighter light here, in southern Gaul, than they currently enjoy."