𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐎𝐋𝐕𝐄

The tangerine gold stretched across the winter sky, mixing with hues of dark blue and red as the sun settled behind mountain peaks. The day was ending, and (Name) felt satisfied with her work regarding her preparations for the upcoming ball.

Winter was coming, and a plan was in the works. Yet, she still hasn't figured out a way to hinder Edith's path to becoming empress while keeping the first prince from taking the throne.

(Name) knew the first prince was an idiot (and so was she for falling for his charms) but he wasn't that stupid to let his brothers take the credit. He became the crown prince for being the eldest and forcing himself to be in the Emperor's good graces, and that advantage gave him the most influence second to the Emperor's in the whole empire.

But it wasn't difficult. A few bribed nobles and mere rumors would be enough to push that idiot off his high horse.

Edith, on the other hand, proved to be a little more... challenging. Her angelic reputation concealed her true nature, as her inner circle of ladies held too much loyalty to betray the little saint. Not even (Name)'s hired maids could interfere with Edith's schedule since she only let three servants tend to her whims.

She didn't know why Edith was this cautious, seeing that she was only a courtesan's daughter, and was only introduced to the nobility when her uncouth father acknowledged her one-of-a-kind beauty.

"She would be nothing without it." (Name) caressed a finger across Edith's portrait, watching the ink fade beneath her fingertips as she slowly rubbed the lady's drawn cheek into nothingness. Edith's portrait was beautiful, as the young woman stared back at (Name) with her red, gem-like eyes.

The cold winter air greeted her skin and hair just the same, and the lady let out a sigh, lifting the teacup. She peered down at the porcelain, eyeing the small chrysanthemum flower float above the liquid, following her every movement. (Name) relaxed in her seat, Edith's drawn image still in her hand as she diverted her attention towards the sunset.

She shouldn't be on the balcony today, Chloe had scolded her time and time again, but seeing the sun descending on the horizon had always made her feel free, in a way. Back when she was imprisoned for her 'treason', she was never given the chance to see natural light; It was the usual acrid odor of gasoline for the torches outside her dungeon, and though the lamp and sun might manifest the identical light, it was never the same.

(Name)'s eyes glanced back to Edith, her little darling grin still as lovely as ever.

"It's a shame our next meeting wouldn't go so well, considering our past. . relationship." She says bitterly before placing down the picture. Edith watched from her portrait, her perfect smiling lips remained unmoving with long golden waves cascading around her round face. "I wonder how it will be when you replace me in the guillotine?"

"Will you still smile like this?" She whispered, the corners of her mouth twitching upwards as she slowly traced the rim of her cup, tilting it ever so slightly. "As you endure the ridicule of millions, while they watch blood and dirt cake your hair, when your lover stares stone-faced from afar?"

"Will you miss the warmth of the sun as I did?"

(Name) let go of her cup. The tea had spilled all over, spreading itself across the glass table, before reaching the ends of Edith's face. Her delicately drawn expression, now stained with chrysanthemum petals and tea, stayed motionless. Still smiling, still looking joyful as ever., as if she was captured mid-laughter.

"No wonder he fell in love with you." (Name) murmured to no one, her dark eyes transfixed to Edith's beaming face. "But I wonder if his love would stay the same."