𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐌𝐄

"Here are your orders, ladies." Bennet announces softly, a cheery lilt in his voice as he sets down the plates gently on the wooden table.

Although the cafe had a comfortable ambiance and the quiet noise of chattering customers, it didn't help the awkward atmosphere surrounding (Name) and Chloe's own booth; but Bennet didn't seem to notice the tense silence. "So lovely morning, huh?"

The man smiles innocently, as he stood there beside Chloe's seat just patiently waiting for a response. He looks as though he was an angel waiting to be praised; (Name) can admit, he was fit to be one with just his stunning appearance.

"Yes, it is."

"That's good to hear. I would feel down if a beautiful lady such as yourself would say otherwise."

"...Thank you Bennet."

Chloe silently stares at the interaction, her curious eyes traveling between the two, her face painted with strange amusement. She drinks her tea, before placing it down on the table quietly, still her unwavering gaze at the two never cuts off.

(Name) stares at his smiling face for a moment, feeling puzzled at his behaviour, before picking up the red porcelain cup and bringing it closer to her lips. The scent wafts through her nose then a burnt, nutty aroma hits her senses; fragrant was a word for it, nostalgic even.

As (Name) take a sip, the taste brings her back from her early days as a student - always studying, staying up late and cramming for deadlines.

The student experience wasn't exactly a pleasant stroll in the garden but she knew deep down that she loved the feeling of joy and pride when she received her deserved awards. She worked hard to be one of the top students after all, why shouldn't she feel proud about it?

"How's the coffee, miss?" Bennet's question startled (Name) from her thoughts. She sees him peering down at her with a hopeful smile, his eyes closed yet expecting as he stood in front of the booth tall and waiting. "Is it to your satisfaction?"

Why is he still here?

In front of (Name), Chloe nervously played with her hands as she eats her food with unease, perhaps still on edge from earlier events.

"Chloe," The young lady speaks up after dabbing her mouth clean with her handkerchief and Chloe perks up at the sound of her name, her big brown eyes blinking at you with tense curiosity. "Do you like the food?"

The petite maid nods rapidly at her question as she takes another bite of her dessert, albeit with a little hesitation. Seeing how her eyes fill with a spark of joy as she chews her food, (Name) smiles a little, before proceeding to her own: a slice of strawberry shortcake. She licked her lips in satisfaction after one bite then looks up to Bennet, her smile now long gone from her face.

"Then I guess we'll be here often."

"Thank you, miss. I'll be sure to look forward for your visits." He gives (Name) a joyful grin and a light bow of his head and she watches him walk away to the counter, quietly humming and tending to his porcelain cups.

When she turns to Chloe and began to make small talk, she didn't noticed the way Bennet's mouth falls down to a hateful frown as he forces himself to skip away to his station; and the slight twitch in his eye while he stares at her from afar, annoyed by her languid movements and apathetic expressions.