𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄

"How was your walk outside the capital, dear?"

The minute she stepped outside that carriage, (Name) almost had a heart attack. Unbeknownst to her, waiting outside the manor were her parents, standing side by side with eager smiles adorning their faces.

It was strange for the Grand Duke and Duchess to wait outside for their daughter, whom only left the manor for a few hours to do some personal errands. And knowing (Name) with her strict and less-than-affectionate personality, her esteemed parents anticipating her arrival right outside the doors during a cold night came as a great shock to the girl.

(Name)'s heart almost stopped when her mother ambled towards her with utmost speed, before encasing the younger lady in a loving embrace.

Her mother's scent was faint, nearly odorless as the perfume on her body dissipated through the day, but the familiar smell took her back in her previous days before things went wrong.

(Name) didn't spare a thought for all the affection and intimacy of familial relationships. Rather than sentiment, the (Name) before would have thought of her mother's hugs as inconvenient, a waste of time.

But now. . .

A small smile grew in (Name)'s lips as she returned the Duchess's embrace, feeling a strange warmth in her chest she's never felt before.

"It was quite alright, mother." Then she was released, but her mouth pursed into a tight frown when she realized the Duchess was missing a coat. "What are you doing outside in the cold? And without a shawl to keep you warm?"

"I insisted to wait for your arrival." The older woman blinked up at her oldest child, a pout forming on her glossed lips. "Is it so wrong to wish upon my daughter's safe return?"

"No, not at all."

"Then, will you be joining us for dinner?" A deep voice called out, and when (Name) looked up she saw her father walking down the stairs with an expectant grin, a lit cigar in his hand. "I believe the head chef has prepared quite a meal for you."

"What for, father?" She watched the Grand Duke kneel down to kiss her cheek gently, and as he pulled away, he held her mother's hand. "Is there a special occasion?"

"Not in the least."

The lady tilted her head in question as she waited for an answer, but to her surprise, her parents gave each other knowing looks before taking her hand and began walking inside the manor, dragging the girl with them.

"But our love for our eldest seems fit enough for celebration, don't you think?"

She stayed silent, her face void of emotion yet (Name)'s parents noticed the way her eyes had a certain glint in them. And with that, they gave each other sly grins and proceeded to direct their daughter towards the dining room. As they walked on, the lady found herself looking onto one of the displayed windows. And there, her brother stood inside, staring venomously with a sharp glare. His mouth twisted into a scowl as he seemed to blend in the darkness of the unlit room.

(Name) knew better than to celebrate her existence with the family. She looked away in haste, stopping in her tracks. Her hands shook nervously, but she hid it behind her dress quickly. She should hurry this up before her parents get their hopes up even more. She's been a disappointment for too long.

I have pressing matters to attend to.

"Father. . ." She drawled on, looking up at him with a somber expression. (Name) pursed her lips into a thin line. "I may not be able to attend tonight's dinner."