𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐄𝐍𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐏𝐄

The pub was filled with hush, low voices, despite the many people inside the room. Several eyes stared as they brushed past with quiet steps, the wooden floor squeaking occasionally due to Elias's heavy strides.

A hand on her hat, (Name) rearranges it slightly, making sure her hair was in place. She was here as a man in search of a long-lost friend, and she was almost done with it, as long as she receives the right information.

"Let's sit here," Elias speaks with a quiet voice, beckoning towards a lone table on the far end of the pub. (Name) follows him, eyes peeled for any face that seemed familiar inside the room, yet no one caught her attention. 

She sighs in defeat, before sitting down across from the captain. He decided to make small talk, although (Name) wasn't interested.

She was here to wait for a certain someone, like an intel of sorts. She had him track down a childhood friend of hers using the information from Sister Delia, and the other day she received a letter regarding his investigation. 

She was searching for Raiden.

A friend from the east, a young man she grew up with back when she occasionally visited the orphanage in the past. He was one of the older children, who always took care of (Name) as though he was another brother, and was also a man her father held high regard of - back in those happy years at least.

When she was young and didn't have to worry about marriage and politics.

"W-what may your order be, sir?"

A soft, fluttery voice interrupts her train of thought, and when (Name) looks up, she sees the waitress from before and surprisingly, in a new hairstyle. The low ponytail was long gone as her long amber-colored hair flowed in waves behind her back, her eyes shy and timid, yet it held an unknown expecting look that was directed to the disguised lady. 

(Name) blinked, a bit taken aback, before clearing her throat and smiling up at the petite woman. At this, the waitress's cheeks flushed with embarrassment as she looked down to the ground, too bashful to meet her customer's eyes.

Meanwhile, on Elias's side, the man was too confused at the ongoing scene in front of him. Although he couldn't deny that the lady in disguise was incredibly fetching in men's apparel, he was too bewildered from their exchange to say anything. It was plain as day that the waitress held certain feelings for the woman - and also it means that the disguise is working, just as planned.

An gentle smile played along (Name)'s lips, masking the awkward feeling inside her chest earned from the waitress's look of anticipation. She wasn't clueless about the waitress's certain thoughts as she didn't really try her best to hide it. 

Despite being sheltered in the walls of her noble household, she wasn't blind to the idea of love that grew in rumors and stories in the common streets. 

What she read in books and novels particular to the topic was simply. . . absurd now that she thought about it, as she also fell victim to Cupid's clutches before she was 'brought back'.

It was the one of the few things she regretted, together with the lack of communication she had with her family. The second chance the gods have gifted her, traveling back in time, she will use it as an advantage; Never again (Name) will make the same mistakes, she will build a name grand enough for herself that even the Crown Prince will be forced to bow before her.

"Mister? Are you ready to request something?"

"Ah, yes." She nodded to the woman in front, beckoning her to come closer. While blushing fervently, the waitress steps forward, the pen and notepad in her fidgeting hands as she wrote down (Name)'s order with great speed. "Elias? Do you want anything?"

The spy, a distant friend from one of her father's knights, arrived just in time when (Name) had already finished her food. Elias on the other hand, quickly chugged down the glass of beer in his hand, but when he saw the lady waving him away, he leaves her side to sit at another table. With this, he wouldn't be able hear anything in the conversation.

"Good evening, William." (Name) places down a cup of water, eyes trailing at the investigator's figure as he trudged towards her table. As if in a hurry, he quickly strode down to sit in front of her, his hair in a mess of curls under a worn-out hat. A weird, panicked look was plastered across his face, forehead drenched in sweat; He wasn't like this the last time (Name) saw him, did something happen? "How was your investigation?"

"I got caught."

"What?"

"That man saw me when I followed him through the market in the capitol. He lead me through an alley and. . ."

"And?"

"E-everything's in that envelope." His voice shook with anxiety, so did his hands when he pushed down an envelope towards (Name). He frowned, staring at her through his bangs with a palm outstretched across the table. "Just give me the payment and I'll go."

"Did he say anything?"

"Yes." William gulped, swallowing the last of his nerves. "He said he wants to meet the employer in the docks outside the capitol's walls, pier nine. Alone."

"I see. Thank you, William."

With haste, he grabbed the bag of gold coins (Name) provided and stood up, about to leave, but he looked back reluctantly. "That. . beast. . is dangerous." William added with a quiet voice while placing the coin bag in his pocket. "I don't know why the hell you even need him for, but be careful my lady."

+

"Elias." (Name) called out, walking outside the pub with quick strides as the captain followed beside her. It was getting dark, as the sun behind her drowned under the buildings and dingy shops in the far distance. "When we reach home, tell father I won't be joining them for dinner."

"What for, my lady? Are you not feeling well?"

"Of course not, but afterwards prepare a carriage for me."

"May I ask what for?"

"Don't worry," A small smirk coyly rests above her lips, glancing at the doubtful look on Elias's face. Perhaps this reptile could be convenient, if used in the right way. "You'll be coming with me."

+

NOTE

filler chapter for someone in the next one, hint: i assure you, he's hot.

also, everytime i come back here to check on things i am greeted by such wonderful comments. thank you all so much for the reads, it's nice to see people appreciating an amateur's writing.

maybe I'll start dedicating some chapters sometime soon?

until next time — (ʘᴗʘ)✧