05 | oreo

——————— sitara ⋮ ⋆

"HERE YOU GO," I said, handing him his cup and the straw. Shaurya took it absent-mindedly, his other hand scrolling through his mail. The cup sat on his lap ignored.

I sighed and tore open the straw wrapper. I inserted it into his takeaway cup and lifted it next to his lips. He looked up and grinned, taking a sip from it as he typed on his phone.

"Is that Oreo milkshake?" He asked and I nodded.

"You mentioned yesterday that you didn't like caramel. I wish you could've told me sooner. I would've gotten your favourite milkshake," I said.

"It wasn't that bad so I didn't mind. How did you know I liked Oreo milkshakes?"

"When I visited your kitchen, you had a stash of oreos in the glass shelf. It was easy to figure it out," I said. "Now be done with your mail soon. Or I'll dump this thing on your head."

"You don't have to feed me, you know. I can always drink it after I finish this," He said.

"So that I'll have to suffer watching you drink it when mine is empty? No thanks," I said.

"You are a kid," He chuckled.

"It's not news," I sighed, propping my head on his shoulders and watching the night sky. There was this grey swirl of smoke-like clouds floating over the dark sky. The moon was a perfect crescent today, pinned on the far west side from us. It seemed to muster up every bit of moonlight it can shed over the world, illuminating the sky. There were not many stars visible today but the ones that were, were scattered far away from each other instead of being clustered.

"I'm sorry. That manager guy was on my back for this website malfunction and I had to respond. I didn't even acknowledge you properly," Shaurya said, bringing me back to Earth.

"That's fine. I had loads of work today as well so I couldn't pick your call. That's why I wanted to see you," I admitted.

"You are really obsessed with me. I'm flattered." He chuckled and I nudged him with my elbow.

"As if you aren't, Sir. I was wondering where my milkshake bills were vanishing off to and you should see my surprise when I found it on your bedside table. I wonder how it went there," I said, trying to keep my face neutral.

"Sitar — "

"I know, I know. You don't have to say it. You are obsessed with me as well," I said, flicking my hair back and sipping on my milkshake. Shaurya made a disgruntled noise but shut his mouth.

"And, I wanted to talk to you about something as well," he said, turning to face me. I nodded for him to go on. "It's been almost three weeks since we met and we had milkshakes together a lot of times."

"Yeah," I said, wondering where he was going with this sudden realisation.

"And it was you who paid for it all the time."

"So?"

"Sitar, I am the guy. Let me pay you back for it. I feel so bad," He said.

"I am the girl, so what? I don't mind paying for it," I said firmly. "It's a No, Shaurya. You aren't allowed to argue about this."

He sighed. "Sitar, try to understand. At least here onwards, we'll take turns."

"Look, Shaurya. I'll pay whenever I feel like it and I won't fight over it when you pay. I am sure we aren't going to be drinking milkshakes all the time. You promised me we'll go to the movies this Friday. You can pay for that. I am not stopping you. There's no rule that says men are the only ones who have to pay. And we don't have to necessarily pay each other back or take equal turns and stuff. This is not business," I said, a little annoyed.