Chapter 4

Erica was sitting at the table, eating breakfast with her mom. Izzie came into the kitchen wearing a shirt with just her underwear.

"Izzie!" Meredith said.

"What?" Izzie asked.

"Can you not walk around in your underwear in front of my daughter." Meredith said.

"Geez. Sorry." Izzie said. "I'll go put pants on." She walked out of the kitchen.

"Hurry up, so I can get you to school." Meredith said to Erica.

"Mom. I don't have school today." Erica said.

"Oh right." Meredith said. "Sorry. I forgot."

"It's ok." Erica said.

"I guess I need to call Sarah and see if she can watch you today." Meredith said.

Erica nodded. "I'm going to go get dressed." She said.

"Ok." Meredith said. Erica went up to her room while Meredith called the sitter.

A few minutes later, Erica came back downstairs. "When is Sarah getting here?" She asked.

"She isn't able to watch you today." Meredith said. "I guess that's what I get for forgetting that you don't have school."

"So, what now?" Erica asked.

"I guess I have to take you to work with me." Meredith said. "I don't really have any other option."

"Awesome." Erica said. "I like hanging out at the hospital."

Meredith laughed. "Come on." She said. "We have a stop to make before going to the hospital."

"Where are we going?" Erica asked as she grabbed her backpack and followed her mom out the door.

"To see your grandmother." Meredith answered.

"Really?" Erica asked. "You haven't let me come with you when you go to see her."

"I know." Meredith said. "I do want to prepare you. She does have Alzheimer's. Most likely, she won't know who you are."

"Ok." Erica said.

When they were at the nursing home, Erica stayed by her mom. She just stood by her mom and stayed quiet while her mom talked to her grandmother.

After they spent a little bit of time at the nursing home, they headed to the hospital. Erica stood outside the intern locker room. A short African American woman came up to her.

"Are you lost?" Miranda asked. "Want me to help you find your parents?"

"I'm not lost." Erica said. "My Mom's in there changing."

"Who's your Mom?" Miranda asked.

"Meredith Grey." Erica answered.

"Dr. Grey." Miranda called. "Would you come out here, please?" Meredith came out of the locker room. "Is this your daughter?" Miranda asked.

"Yes." Meredith said. "This is Erica. Erica, this is Dr. Bailey."

"Hi." Erica said.

"May I ask why you're daughter is here?" Miranda asked.

"I forgot that she didn't have school today and the sitter couldn't watch her." Meredith explained. "So, I had to bring her to work with me."

"Don't let her get in anyone's way." Miranda said.

"Of course." Meredith said. "Come on, Erica."

Erica followed her mom. "Where are we going?" She asked.