Chapter 1

Erica woke up one morning and got ready for school. Her and her mom had just moved from Boston to Seattle and were currently staying in her grandmothers house. But her mom was selling it because her grandmother was in a nursing home. As Erica got dressed, she could hear her mother downstairs, talking to someone. She didn't know if her mom was talking to someone on the phone or if someone was at the door.

"You have to go." She heard her mother say. "I'm late. Which isn't what you want to be on your first day of work."

"So, you actually live here?" A man said.

"No." Meredith said. "Yes. Kind of."

"How do you kind of live here?"

"I moved here from Boston two weeks ago." Meredith said. "It was my mother's house. I'm selling it."

"I'm sorry." The man said.

"What?" Meredith asked.

"You said was." The man said.

"My mother's not dead." Meredith said.

"Oh." The man said.

"So, I'm going to go take a shower and when I come back down, you won't be here." Meredith said. "Goodbye, umm."

"Derek." The man said.

"Right, Derek. Meredith." Meredith said.

"Nice meeting you." Derek said.

"Bye Derek." Meredith said. Erica heard her mother come up the stairs. "Erica, time to get up." Meredith said, knocking on her daughter's door.

"I'm up." Erica said.

"Ok. I'm going to take a shower and I'll be downstairs in a little bit." Meredith said.

"Ok." Erica said. She heard the bathroom door close behind her mom. Erica headed downstairs and went into the kitchen. She made herself breakfast, grabbing some bread and making toast. Her mother wasn't the cooking type. Usually they get something out to eat or have microwave dinners. Erica sat a the table and started to eat.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Meredith greeted Erica as she came into the kitchen.

"Morning Mom." Erica said.

"How are you, this morning?" Meredith asked, joining Erica at the table with her own breakfast.

"I'm good." Erica replied. She didn't mention anything about the guy. She knew better than to ask.

"You remember what to do after school?" Meredith asked.

"Yes." Erica said. "I'll ride the bus that stops in front of the hospital and I'll hang out in the daycare until you're done work."

"Good girl." Meredith said, smiling at her daughter. Erica finished eating and threw her trash away. "Go finish getting ready." Meredith said. Erica nodded before going up to her room. She brushed her teeth, combed her hair out, and put shoes on. She slung her backpack over her shoulder and heading back downstairs. "Ready to go?" Meredith asked.

"Yep." Erica said.

"Come on. Let's get you to school." Meredith said. They walked outside and Erica climbed into the backseat of her mother's car. A few minutes later, Meredith pulled up in front of the school. "Have a good day at school, Erica." She said.

"Bye Mom." Erica said as she got out of the car. She watched her mom drive off before heading into the school.

After school ended, Erica rode the bus to the hospital. When she got there, she walked into the hospital and headed to the daycare room. She sat at a table and started to work on her homework. As she worked, there was too much noise going on, so she decided to work in the cafeteria. Erica walked over to the woman who worked there. "If my Mom, Meredith Grey, comes by, can you tell her that I'm in the cafeteria?" She said.

"What's your name?" The woman asked.

"Erica." Erica answered.

"Ok. I'll let her know." The woman said.

Erica picked up her backpack and made her way to the cafeteria. She got herself some cookies and soda, with the money her mom gave her, and sat at a table. While she worked on her homework, she heard other doctors talking about her mother. She looked over at the table that the doctors were sitting at.

"You know Meredith is inbred?" A dark haired woman said. Erica thought she was Korean. "Her mother is Ellis Grey."

"The Ellis Grey?" A blonde girl asked.

"Uh-huh." The dark haired girl said.

"Who's Ellis Grey?" A guy with ginger hair asked. The two girls laughed

"Where'd you go to med school, Mexico?" The Korean woman said.

"She was one of the first big chick surgeons." The blonde said.

"She's a living legend." Dark haired girl said. "She won the Harper Avery. Twice."

"So I didn't know one thing." The ginger guy said. Erica stopped listening after that.

"Hey baby." She heard someone say. Erica looked up to see her mother.

"Hey Mom." She said.

"The worker at the daycare said you were here." Meredith said as she sat at the table.

"Yeah. It was kind of loud in there, so I came here to have somewhere quieter to work on homework." Erica said.

"How was school?" Meredith asked.

"It was good." Erica replied. "I got an A on my math quiz today."

"That's great, honey." Meredith said. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks Mom." Erica said. "You know, those doctors over there were talking you and Grandmother." Meredith looked over at the table that Erica was referring to.

"Those are my co-workers." She said. Erica nodded.

"How's school going so far?" Meredith asked. "Doing ok in middle school?"

Erica was pretty smart. She had a photographic memory and skipped two grades. She was ten years old and just recently started middle school.

"It's a little harder than elementary school, but I'm doing ok." Erica answered.

"You aren't getting teased for being younger than everyone, are you?" Meredith asked.

"I'm fine, Mom." Erica said. "You don't need to worry."

"That's my girl." Meredith said. Erica smiled. "So, my first shift is 48 hours." Meredith said. "So, the nanny is going to pick you up and bring you home today."

"Ok." Erica said.

"Why don't you go back to the daycare." Meredith said.

"Ok. Bye Mom." Erica said as started to pick up her stuff.

"Bye sweetheart." Meredith said as she kissed Erica on the top of the head. "I'll call to say goodnight later this evening."

"Ok." Erica said before heading back to the daycare.

Two mornings later, Erica was eating breakfast when her mother came into the house. "Hey sweetheart." Meredith said, coming into the kitchen.

"Hey Mom." Erica said. "How was your first day?"

"It was interesting." Meredith said. Erica finished her breakfast and put her dishes in the sink. "Thank you for watching her, Sarah." Meredith said to the nanny and handing her some money.

"Of course." Sarah said. "I'll see you later, Erica."

"Bye Sarah." said Erica.

"Come on. I'll take you to school." Meredith said. Erica grabbed her stuff and followed her mom outside.