Chapter 6

AN: I changed Erica a little bit. She still has a photographic memory, but she's also a child prodigy now. I also put her in a higher grade. She's a ten year old in 9th grade.

Erica woke up one morning and got ready for school. She changed into a red and white striped short sleeved shirt with yellow roses, a black skirt, and black shoes. She put her hair partly up.

Once she finished getting ready, Erica headed downstairs

"Good morning, Erica." George greeted when Erica walked in.

"Good morning." Erica said. She grabbed out a bowl and poured herself some cereal.

"I made scrambled eggs and bacon, if you want any." Izzie said.

"I'll take some bacon." Erica said. Izzie put some bacon on a plate and handed it to her. After getting some orange juice, Erica sat down and started to eat.

"Morning everyone." Meredith said as she walked into the kitchen.

"Hi Mom." Erica said.

"Hi sweetie." Meredith said. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm good." Erica said.

"That's good." Meredith said.

"So, you're coming to my softball game, right?" Erica asked.

"I'm sorry?" Meredith asked.

"Mom, I've already told that this afternoon's my first softball game." Erica said. "You said you would go."

"Oh right." Meredith said. "Yes. I will make sure that I'm at your softball game."

"Thanks Mom." Erica said.

"Let's get you to school." Meredith said.

"Bye Erica." George and Izzie said.

"Bye guys." Erica said. She picked up her backpack and followed her mom outside.

Later that afternoon, Erica was at the her softball game. She was glad to see her mom was here. Even though her mom said she would be here, Erica knew with her mom's job she couldn't guarantee that she would be here.

When the game ended, Erica went over to her mom.

"That was great, sweetheart." Meredith said. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks Mom." Erica said.

"Go change and we'll head to the hospital." Meredith said.

Erica nodded and headed to the locker room. Once she finished getting changing, Erica went back to over to her mom.

"Jamie seems like a nice girl." Meredith said as she drove.

"Yeah." Erica agreed.

"I'm glad you made a friend." Meredith said.

"Me too." Erica said.

When they got to the hospital, the two climbed out of the car. "Here's some money." Meredith said. "Why don't you get some dinner and go find somewhere quiet to work on your homework."

"Alright." Erica said, taking the money.

"You have your phone, right?" Meredith asked.

"Yes." Erica answered.

"Good." Meredith said. "Try not to get in anyone's way."

"I won't." Erica said.

A few minutes later, Erica was sitting at a table in the hospital library. She had gotten a sandwich with a soda at the cafeteria. Erica had her computer out and was working on her homework as she ate.

While she worked, Erica saw Derek in the library. She went back to her work, but she noticed him stop to look at her and then went over to her. Erica looked up as he approached her.

"Hi." Derek greeted.

"Hello." Erica greeted back.

"You're Erica, right?" Derek asked as he joined her at the table. "Meredith's daughter."

"Yes." Erica said.

"Well, it's nice to finally meet you, Erica." Derek said. "I'm Derek."

"I know who you are." Erica said.

"Does your mother talk about me?" Derek asked.

"No." Erica answered.

"Then, how do you know who I am?" Derek asked.

"Well, you're a famous neurosurgeon right?" Erica replied.

"I am." Derek said. "But, something tells that's not how you know who I am."

"I overheard you and my Mom talking that one morning." Erica explained. "And I saw the two of you in your car the night of the party."

"I see you're observant." Derek said.

"Well, I am kind of a genius." Erica said.

"I heard." Derek said. "In sixth grade at ten years old and you have a photographic memory. That's very impressive."

"I wish my Mom wouldn't brag about it." Erica said.

"She's just proud of you." Derek said. Erica nodded. "Are you working on homework?" Derek asked.

"Yes." Erica answered.

"What are you working on?" Derek asked.

"A history paper." Erica replied. "And I would like to get it done, along with the rest of my homework, before my Mom finishes work."

"I'll let you get back to work, then." Derek said,standing up. "Again, it was nice meeting you, Erica."

"You too." Erica said. Derek left and Erica continued on her homework.