11

As previous stated, you hated the cold. It was beautiful and tranquil but from the inside looking out the window with a warm cup of tea and a blanket wrapped around yourself. There were a few exceptions such as running a few errands, taking out the garbage, and watching over the neighbor's children. The warmth would temporarily fill you as you watched their gleeful selves playing in the snow and with old man winter. There would be a few times Jack would call upon the wind and you would tense from the expected chill to run down your spine. He would only smile apologetically before going back to laughing with the others. Sometimes, you wonder if he ever is sorry.

You would have probably joined them, but your energy was unexpectedly low today. Your tolerance to the cold was even lower today as you were wrapped in three heavy coats, two hats and scarves, and a thick pair of gloves. You can only assume by the worried looks Jack keeps giving you that you were developing a cold. You didn't get sick easily but you are more cautious about your health than others. Of course, that might have change since meeting the winter spirit, but you don't blame him since his company was welcoming. You just needed to plan for tomorrow to be worse than today and cancel any plan you might have had to rest.

When you approached the spirit at the end of the day about coming over, you weren't expecting him to ask you why. "I'm planning to meet some family tomorrow," you lied. You weren't a natural liar, but you wanted an excuse from Jack seeing you in a complete mess tomorrow.

You should have known when you heard knocking on your bedroom window the next day that the albino wasn't going to plan on keeping his distance. His expression wasn't out of joy though when you saw him as you opened the window. His movements seem fast as you were dreary.

You rubbed your forehead as if it would work against the lightheadedness. "Jack, what are you doing here?"

"I came to check up on you," he started, "You didn't look so well yesterday."

He saw through your lie, basically. Before you had time to process what he said, he was already pushing you towards your bed. His cool hand on your back felt nice against your overheated body. Not even bothering to fight back, you tucked yourself back into bed as he rose the comforter to your chin.

"You didn't have to come," you mumbled, already exhausted from just getting up. You wondered just how red your face was.

Jack must have sensed your discomfort as he laid his cool hand against your forehead. You could have sworn you saw steam rose from the spot. Nonetheless, you relaxed against his touch. "I know," he smiled sadly, "I just couldn't help but worry."

You hummed in satisfaction from your body finally reaching a healthy temperature. He seemed to know what he was doing since he pulled away before the cold sets in too much. But he didn't just pull his hand away, he moved completely away. You had just enough energy to moved it to your hand as it reached out towards Jack, grabbing his hoodie. He looked at you with a shocked face as you asked, "Where are you going?"

He relaxed to a smile, but the pained smile didn't reach his eyes. "I can't make your condition worse, princess."

"How is that possible?" you joked, trying to play off the cough that wanted to come out, "I was swimming in my own sweat a minute ago until you came."

He chuckled briefly before turning back to you and brushing his fingers across your forehead again. You wondered if your body heat return quickly already since his fingers felt so cool. You felt your eyelids droop from the relaxing sensation. "You're red again," he mumbled while pressing his palm to your forehead until the heat was gone again. Before you were able open your eyes again, his hand slipped away. By the time you looked towards your window, snowflakes whirled around the frame of your closed window.

Word Count: 692

Status: UNEDITED