6

Despite the joyous occasion, it was odd. Usually, a child who was a few years younger than [Name] would give up on believing in spirits like himself. Jack figures she would be long gone by now, so why is she able to see him? He almost felt bad for interrupting a moment like this with her smile finally appearing on her lips for him and her eyes twinkling with joy, not just from his magic.

He cleared his throat, almost like he was interrupting himself and keeping focus, "How is it you can see me?"

Her flustered state indicated that she forgot about her position in the matter. Although it seems she snapped out of it, she didn't return to the threatening aura. It was more relaxed and slight embarrassment from the little pink hue on her nose and cheeks. It must have been from being caught acting like a child, Jack thought.

She hesitated, "All my life, I was able to see spirits. At first, I thought I made up imaginary friends—ah, no offense!" She quickly apologized.

He waved it off with a chuckle. He motioned for her to continue, finding her stuttering charming.

"But," she continued, "I started seeing weird things. It was eerie, to say the least."

Her pause was concerning. Her frown showed the mood totally flipped from what it was a second ago. He almost wanted to stop her from the trauma she was reliving in her eyes if it weren't for his curiosity.

"I realized I could see these spirits or ghosts one day when I saw a neighbor who I was familiar with. She was announced killed two weeks prior.

"I told my grandfather about it, and later, explained to me why I'm seeing people that were technically dead. Since then, I have decided to ignore all of them," she finished.

Jack didn't realize it himself when he blinked out of his gaze. He was engaged in the story so much that he started leaning on the wall and his staff separated from himself. He found it strange how it felt like the story was unfinished and she was editing herself. He wanted to know more, but his question was already answered and didn't want to push any further, he told himself.

"Well, it makes sense why you can see me," he smiled to ease the tension, "but I believe introductions are in order. You know who I am, but I can't put a name to a face."

Of course, he lied, but he felt it was fair and polite for the girl to introduce herself. He wanted to hear her himself as her own name rolls off her tongue so he could have an excuse to repeat after her and have her name spoken from him. He didn't know why he couldn't have just say he already knows from what Jamie has told him. Maybe, he just wanted to be more familiar with her, but he also excused it as him being his teasing self.

She eyed him with caution; aware if she said it, she would be giving him permission to call out to her. Against what she was thinking, she said, "[Full Name]."

"[Full Name]," he repeated but with tenderness, "My real name is Jackson Overland, but ever since I've been given these powers, I go by Jack Frost."

"You mean," she started, "your real name isn't Jack Frost?"

He had never really told anyone but the other guardians of who his identity was, so he didn't know how to respond to her question. He hummed, "No, my real name is Jack Frost, but you can say it's a second name."

"By who?"

"Excuse me?" he was surprised from the sudden question. He had to focus on what she was saying.

"You remember what your original name was," she explained, "so it only makes sense you remembered who gave you your second name." Her unchanging facial expression showed she was interested and wanted to know more.

Jack found his gaze going from the girl to the bright glowing ball in the sky. He used to find the silence sickening from his position every time he would stare up into the sky, but now, he finds comfort as he has realized his position and purpose. His voice barely went above a whisper. His voice was so low and tender; he was afraid she wouldn't hear. Her curious and unsure glance to the sky out the window told him otherwise.

Word Count: 749

Status: UNEDITED

Note: Thank you everyone for the 300+ views! I didn't think this would become popular. I got highly passionate about writing and getting behind a keyboard again. I highly appreciate it if you guys check out my other stories while waiting for updates. Thank you again!