12

His pining eyes watched a specific spot on the spinning world in North's workshop. The glowing speck proved his theory to be incorrect as it seemed to glow brighter than any of the others. He was hoping she would forget him and the other tales, but the blinding little light mocked yet relieved him. It's been almost a year, yet the believer was unwavering. Then again, she wasn't like other kids. He knew that from the beginning, but he forgot. He only then blinked out of his stare when the speck spun around to the other side of the globe.

A large hand laid itself on his small shoulder in comparison. His blue eyes ran up the arm to similar eyes of his guardian mentor. North's eyes lit up in oblivious glee as his deep voice echoed.

"I see you're routing your rounds before leaving," his accent thick, "Very clever."

Jack's eyes showed the uncertainty in his departure, but he knew he couldn't stall any longer. Winter was coming soon in your area, and in order to keep the cold and snow around for the season, he needed to be around.

"Something like that," he dismissed, "yeah."

"Jack," North called, catching the attention of the young guardian, "I know as spirits, we think time as something we don't have to worry about or more like something that isn't a part of us at least. I can't help but notice your lack of presence. Phil says you rarely come by nowadays." North wasn't suspicious but the curiosity is shown as he caressed his beard.

"I've been distracted lately," Jack answered honestly after a minute.

"What troubles your mind? Pitch is no more, so why the solemn look?"

"No, it's one of my believers," Jack corrected. He knew North already had something to say, but surprisingly, he kept quiet; probably to understand the situation better. "Have you ever met older children or even adults who could see you?"

North hummed, "Ah, yes, during my early years, I was quite surprised to come across some of those that are special, but it's more common than you think." His beard being continued to be scratched, occasionally lifting his hand to make a gesture.

"How common?"

"There are exceptions and it varies. Humans were gifted to live on this planet, but they needed help more than us spirits could bring. Manny gifted selected humans with abilities that helped thrived their kind. Some had the ability to see the future, others could look into the memories of those around them, a common one was being able to see the deceased; it can go on," North explained.

Jack became a little more interested in one of the examples the big man was listing, specifically the one about being able to see the dead. He knew a little about the girl's ability from some of the information she had given him. She had told Jack some stories and how she was able to adjust to her sixth sense. "Can all these people see us?"

North sighed, "Because they were given their sixth sense from Manny, yes. The abilities given to them were psychic, so even if Man in Moon didn't bestow the gift on them, the stronger ones would still be able to see spirits like us. Have you come across one?"

Instead of answering, Jack turned back to the globe and pointed at where the girl's specific speck was glowing brightly. "A girl I met lives near where Jamie is. Last winter, I got to know her since I thought it was strange she could see me. Turns out that she could see beyond the living like you mentioned."

"I see," North hummed, but Jack saw the trouble behind his eyes, "Those that were gifted with the ability to see the dead are powerful. Their spiritual presence are strong as well. So strong that most of the time, they come across an early death."

"What!" Jack exclaimed. His eyes displayed immediate panic.

North eyes narrowed, "It doesn't happen all the time, but it's only a matter of time before life catches back up to them. They are not like you and I where they live forever. They were meant to fight off spirits like Pitch and fight off early death for others."

Something clicked in Jack's mind. The overly caution the gifted girl takes and the protective nature she has over children. Just like him, she was a guardian in a way. It makes sense now, but the way the big man had explain it, Jack wanted to race over to her side again.

North interrupted his train of thought and called him, "Jack, you must not get attached. It will only hurt you in the end."

"I already have," he chuckled sadly, "I was afraid to go anywhere near her because I thought I was making her sick, but now, I want to protect her."

"You still have to perform your duties as guardian. Don't forget the children, Jack."

"I won't," he said determinedly. He remembers having to go back and forth while visiting her, why can't he do it again?

Word Count: 855

Status: UNEDITED