CHAPTER 20

ANANYA SEARCHED FOR HIM ALL NIGHT

She eventually found him in the Smithsonian the next day, in the Captain America exhibit.

She knew it was the only place that would have information about who he used to be. Before Hydra. Before the Winter Soldier. Back when he was just Bucky,

Bucky stood in the middle of the exhibit, wearing a jacket and gloves to cover his metal arm and a baseball cap to cover his face.

Ana gave him his alone time, slowly walking through the exhibit. She smiled slightly when she spotted him staring at the black and white footage of him and Steve laughing together.

The way he stared at his own image... it was heartbreaking. This poor man who used to be so happy and full of life, who was standing next to his best friend, was now looking at a stranger.

Ana took a few steps to stand next to him, "I went looking for you. After Johnny died." She sighed, "I was so angry, I wanted answers. I wanted revenge." Tears filled her eyes, "HYDRA found me before I was able to find them. They turned me into what I am today."

Bucky clenched his fists, "What happened to the baby?" He whispered,

She pursed her lips, her fingers brushing her lower stomach, "She died."

"It's all my fault."

Ana shook her head, "It was Hydra's fault. They killed Johnny. And they killed my baby." She glanced over at him, "You will never be the Winter Solider again. I'll make sure of it." She stated before moving her gaze to the video before them,

"But I'll never be Bucky Barnes again, either." He mumbled.

"You may never be that Bucky again." Ana sighed, "But you'll be Bucky. And that's better than nothing."

He took his eyes off of the footage to look down at her, "You don't have to help me, you know."

She nodded, "I know. But SHIELD's gone... I've caught my ghost. There's nothing keeping me here." She looked over at him and they locked eyes, "We can't stay in the city much longer. They'll find you."

Bucky turned his stare back to the exhibit, "He was my friend."

"He still is."

"I tried to kill him."

Ana shook her head, "That wasn't you. None of that was you. And if I have to spend the rest of my life proving that to you, then I will." She reached for his metal hand and squeezed it, "Let's get out of here."

And with that, they were leaving the museum and heading towards the coast.

They had a plan.

To turn into ghosts.