chapter one

the night was alive as elaine downed shot after shot, till she was so dizzy she could barely stand. natasha tore drunkenly down the dancefloor, grasping elaine's hands in her soft ones and twirling her around with a careless laugh.

the room was blurring as the adrenaline swept through her blood, fueling her body as she swayed along with nat. the alcohol did nothing to her system, the serum prevented her from getting drunk, but that didn't stop elaine from getting high off the night in the city that never sleeps.

the music was blaring at a concerning volume, and her feet were burning in the heels she wore as she forced herself to dance, desperate to clear her brain of the thoughts that always seemed to be nagging at her conscience.

nat was clearly way too drunk to think, and elaine figured now would be a great time to cut her off from any more of those jello shots she was slurping down like water.

"nat!" elaine shouted over the loud music, pulling her redheaded friend by the forearm to get further away from the crowd of people on the dancefloor. nat cried out in drunken protest as she was dragged away from the party, eyes ablaze in the red lights of the club.

"i wasn't done, elaine!" she shouted back to her, attempting to run back to the floor. "come on nat. we should get back." she smiled at the girl, feeling sorry for the lonely woman who used liquor to cope with her lack of family.

natasha didn't try to pull back this time as elaine dragged her out of the club. her taller friend leaned her entire weight on elaine, but she didn't mind, and allowed the girl to splutter incoherent sentences as they stumbled down the empty streets of new york.

it had to be close to one in the morning, the streets were bare of people save for the few cars and taxis passing by in a blur. natasha was too drunk to be able to walk all the way to the compound where she lived, so elaine took a detour to her small apartment by the upper east side instead.

"do you ever wish you didn't take that serum, elaine?" nat spoke, words slurring as she looked down at her smaller friend. "i get that you have all that crazy strength and it makes you even more badass..." she paused.

"but, if you had the chance to stay in the forties, to not take the serum and have to fight bad guys all the time, would you take it?"

"and not get the chance to meet you?" elaine joked, nudging her gently on her shoulder. nat was giving her that look she always gave when elaine answered her question with a question.

"i'm serious, laney." she said. elaine shrugged. "i think i would've stayed in the forties." she sighed as her friend seemed not to hear her answer, eyes closed and feet dragging as elaine practically carried her the rest of the way.

  they arrived at her apartment door, the wood faded with age as she pushed it open and plopped natasha down on the velvety green couch that sat in her living room